Mopar Trader

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssba

ssba Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:52 AM
    Contact Seller
    I am putting together a 18 spline aluminum cased 4-speed and need a-body length aluminum tail housing to complete. Want chrysler part not passion. Direct connection made them and some overdrives will work also. Will buy or can swap some parts if you are looking for something I have. Thought I had one on a 76 duster overdrive but it uses a smaller spline slip yoke out back. Hope someone can help.

2. jos51700

jos51700 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Question: Why not the Passon piece?

3. ssba

ssba Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Building a 68 fastback drag car that was last raced back in 76. Using parts that were made before this date to keep it period correct. Not a #s matching original hemi car or even a clone, just a vintage race car built with the parts that were available at the time to fit within the rules for the a/modified production class. Thanks for asking. I didnt want anyone to think their is a problem with passions parts. In fact I have a aluminum 18 spline in another barracuda that was built in his case. I believe it to be of better quality than any of the early factory castings that were made.

4. 1970 La

1970 La Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Call brewer performance. They had one a few months ago when I rebuilt mine. It does have a weld around by the trans mount, but so does mine I have not had any problems out of it. I guess it was quite common. Good luck

5. ssba

ssba Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for the input. I should let readers know I did finally find the needed tail housing.

6. autoxcuda

autoxcuda Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:52 AM
    Could you explain this more?

I thought all the 883 trans' took the same rear seal and slip yokes as a 727 trans. Are there to different O.D.'s on the slip yokes?

I don't see how the housing would matter when the output shaft spline count is?

I'm looking for one of these and would like to know how to spot one that will work or not work for my 23 spline trans.

7. ssba

ssba Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Autoxcuda, you could be correct on all the tail housings being the same. I didn't disassemble
    the 76 feather duster overdrive transmission to check bushing or seal diameters. I do know it does use the smaller output spline like the 904 trans. I suppose it is possible I had the correct tail housing all along.
    If anyone knows if the larger spline (727) main shaft could or couldn't be installed in place of the smaller (904) splined main shaft please chime in.
    I have had this 76 all aluminum trans in my shed for 25 years and didn't know it had
    the smaller output spline till I dug it out to use just the tail housing on a 18 spline build.
    Seen they took a different slip yoke and found a different tail housing for my build that was removed from a trans with the larger output.

8. AHamilton

AHamilton Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:52 AM
  9. autoxcuda

autoxcuda Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:52 AM
    It says.

I assume this means not all of mid 70's the A/F body overdrives got the 904 output. So there are overdrive tailshafts that have the 727 output? Are those aluminum??

10. mischiefdart

mischiefdart Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I converted a 1970 308 bearing heavy duty B-body trans to use in my dart. I used the Passon aluminum extension housing for the bigger bearing and 727 yoke. Found an NOS A-body mainshaft for the big yoke too. The passon extension housing fit perfectly and looks to be top quality.

11. ssba

ssba Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    The only factory aluminum tail I have come across for the a body is the 76 feather duster OD
    I do remember seeing that brewers and passion both have factory aluminum tails listed with casting #s that are aluminum. I don't recall if they listed the years they were produced.
    I was going to call them but found one elsewhere before I got the chance.

12. Dfr360cuda

Dfr360cuda MAGA Again

Local Time:
    5:52 AM
    Hi
    I am looking for a tail housing for my 74 Cuda 360

Thanx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.