Aluminum Brazing Questions

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
I am making some trim using the aluminum stock sourced from the hardware section at Lowes.
I want to fix studs to the back side to mount it and am planning to use flat headed steel screws. These are small diameter screws that will hold only the trim in place, won’t need to hold much weight. I don’t want to drill through holes and have the mounting screws show.
1) Using a propane torch and aluminum brazing rod can I braze the steel screw to the aluminum strip?
If so any tips on how to do this?
2) Concerning aluminum brazing rods, I can buy a pack of 5 rods at Lowes for around five bucks. I also saw Muggy Weld aluminum brazing rods on the internet for a lot more money. Concerning aluminum brazing rods, does more money spent get me a better brazing rod?
3) I know about making sure the area to be brazed is clean and free of oxidation, is flux used for aluminum brazing and if so is the flux different from the flux used for solder?
Thanks

I tried aluminum welding/brazing before. I have some Alumalloy rods that I bought specifically for using with a propane torch, (looks easy on the TV ad) & the aluminum melted before the rod did, & it was like 10-gauge aluminum too. I'm sure you can do it, but you may have to practice a lot before you do the final job.

Check out the Kent White videos or some of the online stuff about oxy-acetylene welding aluminum. Don’t think you’ll have much luck welding steel to aluminum.

I am making some trim using the aluminum stock sourced from the hardware section at Lowes.
I want to fix studs to the back side to mount it and am planning to use flat headed steel screws. These are small diameter screws that will hold only the trim in place, won’t need to hold much weight. I don’t want to drill through holes and have the mounting screws show.
1) Using a propane torch and aluminum brazing rod can I braze the steel screw to the aluminum strip?
If so any tips on how to do this?
2) Concerning aluminum brazing rods, I can buy a pack of 5 rods at Lowes for around five bucks. I also saw Muggy Weld aluminum brazing rods on the internet for a lot more money. Concerning aluminum brazing rods, does more money spent get me a better brazing rod?
3) I know about making sure the area to be brazed is clean and free of oxidation, is flux used for aluminum brazing and if so is the flux different from the flux used for solder?
Thanks

I just found this on-line .

Can Steel Be Welded to Aluminum? | Make it From Metal

Looks like welding steel to aluminum is not a practicle solution. See if you can find a T-style fastner like these. You could remove the spring and grind down the back side of the screw. Then use panel bond to attach the clip to the moulding. If you decide to use panel bond, make sure the clip is in the correct position on the moulding before you secure it with the panel bond glue. Once it cures, its permanent! Ask me how I know! LOL .

2752_1-B_6f7eb1cf-dbb8-4354-9bda-9b237c1f285f_400x400.jpg

Check out the Kent White videos or some of the online stuff about oxy-acetylene welding aluminum. Don’t think you’ll have much luck welding steel to aluminum.
THIS

Another little comment. some of the rod you buy "lately" is not really "braze" it is more like solder. Lower temp. Decades ago a then boss was going to braze up a bunch of aluminum irrigation pipe, and got set up. Turns out that legit aluminum braze makes a VERY obnoxious, messy, impossible to see through flame because of the chemical interaction. There is a work around. It is called "cobalt blue." These are filter glasses which are also used in the glass blowing industry. They are the OPPOSITE of green welding glasses. True "cobalt blue" glasses do NOT block ultra blue spectrum of light. They block the infra red and let all the "high" end of light through. You must be careful with them, because say, in sunlight they can damage your eyes. But they do allow you to see through the messy flame

You can tell if you have "real" cobalt blue by going into a room lighted by fluorescent lighting. and with white walls or a white T shirt. Wearing the glasses will give you the effect of being in a "black light" bar. Your nails will glow, as will your T shirt or anything else white.

I wouldn’t fool with brazing for something like that especially if it will be hidden. I’d be using a good epoxy like jb weld. Clean and rough the surfaces and it will do the job. Use a flat head screw or grind the head thin and flat.

-
Back