Aluminum flywheel

-

Eli'scoupe

Reaction score
Has anyone on this forum had any EXPERIENCE driving on the street with an aluminum flywheel. I'm pretty sure I'm familiar with all the theories. Pros and cons? I looked on past posts and have not found any threads. Thanks, Denny

They work fine on the street as long as you don't go crazy and find the lowest "race weight" unit out there.

You need some weight in the flywheel to give you the inertia required for idle and stop and go driving in a street car.

I went from steel to alum in my 70 duster with 5.7,it does rev quicker and seems to engage a little different but there was NOT a night and day difference --Steve

Thanks. Changing an automatic in a 72 Cuda to a 4spd. I can get a "New" Schaefer(sp?) flywheel for $100 It's a few years old, but brand new. Not sure of the weight. Like the idea of less rotational mass but if it's a P.I.T.A. to drive it won't be much of a deal. Anyone have an idea of minimal weight?

driving on the street

That right there says it all. You are not driving a 9000 RPM screamer that "needs" to instantly "accelerate out of the turns" and is somehow being held back by that slug of an iron flywheel.

But hey, it's your money

Or to put it another way, there's probably (certainly) a lot more stuff you could spend money on which WOULD give you a marked improvement in performance

I ran one in a 71 Camaro with a small block 400 and Muncie. Yeah, I know. I did need to idle it around 1K or it wanted to die after being romped on. It revved quicker but just as swifter said, it's not a night and day difference.

a stock steel flywheel weighs 30lbs smblk 35 I think for BB. mopar performance light weight steel is 18lbs and an alumn. ( I have one) 11lbs. I would not recommend one for the street. remember the alumn one does have a steel insert that is replaceable , but for street duty a stock one would be fine. like said before you need that enertia to push the car. if your going to beat on it on a regular basis I would get a hays or ram flywheel.

Thank you all for sharing your experience. The purpose of this car is "fun to drive", that's why the 4 speed. It sounds like it might not be as much fun with an aluminum flywheel. This Cuda will not be raced on the strip but will be driven to shows, cruising, and whenever I get the urge, driven hard. I had planned to race it at the strip occasionally but last summer when I was at the track with a friend, I saw a beautifully restored Road Runner almost crash . His radiator hose blew off and when the rear tires hit the mess things got pretty exciting. The driving challenge appeals to me but I got to thinking about insurance and how it probably wouldn't cover the Cuda at the track. I'm doing well to restore this car once. Wouldn't have the cash to do it twice. I thought I could save money and get more performance buying this flywheel. I'll just buy one from Brewers. Again, thanks for the advice. Saves money to listen to experience!

-
Back