Aluminum Head Identification

-

roey94

Reaction score
hey all,

so I have the below pictured heads and really cant find much info on exactly what they are. When I bought these quite a few years ago, the seller told me they were from the Arrington truck racing team. These heads work on a standard 340 block, require pushrod oiling or spray bar. They have a W7 intake and a W5 exhaust with 2.125" intake valve and a 1.60 exhaust. It came with T&D rockers and need to be used. the only markings I was able to find on either head was DRE 91314. Any kind of additional information someone would have to kind of see where these things came from would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

20170124_192548.jpg

20170124_192555.jpg

20170124_192612.jpg

20170124_192642.jpg

20170124_192705.jpg

20170124_192851.jpg

20170124_192917.jpg

20170124_192520.jpg

I dont know for sure but they look like the LA replacement head which was a redrilled Magnum R/T head.

Not drilled for magnum covers?

Nope, these are aluminum heads that can accept the standard LA valve cover. The guy I purchased from said they flowed around 330's cfm at .550 lift intake and 250's exhaust (short valve limited him to go higher).

I dont know for sure but they look like the LA replacement head which was a redrilled Magnum R/T head.

With that chamber?

Only head I've seen with that chamber is the W-5 but not with that rocker bolt down.

Hmmmmm, not a Batten it had open chambers IIRC but maybe he did some closed chamber stuff.

Batten was a smart dude. He changed my thinking on combustion chambers.

Diamond did some aluminum heads but I've never actually seen one of those to know what rocker system they used.

Tough one.

Second thoughts on your heads.

You might call Arrington and talk to them. Also, if you can get Kent Ritter on the phone he might know something, or maybe get you going in the right direction. Ritter did development for the drag stuff but may have helped in the CT stuff.

I can't think of the name of the guy who got burned by Chrysler doing the development on this ****.

Wait, I think it was Chapman. If you can hunt him down maybe he knows something.

You'll have to dig because I know for a fact that stuff was changing almost by the day back then. Yours may be an in between deal.

Now I'd like to know.

Third thought.

I remember the exhaust having a D port, not the square port.

I'm thinking that's a very early W-7 head and I'm sure Ritter could help you out IF you can get him on the phone. I haven't talked to him in years but he always helped me out.

I have access to a W-5 and W-7 and I can get to them next week. I know the 5 has not been machines for guides or seats and I don't remember how the 7 is but at least I'd see what exhaust port is in it.

Come to think of it, I don't remember the 7 having that chamber in it. I know I'm not the only one who hates it.

It could be an old Diamond head. I haven't seen one in my life but I was comparing pictures that used to be posted on Shady Dell's website. The shape of the rocker pedestals or what is left of them could be an indication.
DRE = Diamond Racing Engines (woahh, wild guess)

Thanks for all of the info, keep it coming! all I knew before about these were the intake and exhaust fitment and they made huge power on my 416. do you happen to have any contact info to start this long journey?

here is the link to the dyno of my engine with these heads if you care to see how they do on a small roller 11:1 comp.

Very nice.
What were the specs on the cam?
its a custom solid roller cam and off the top of my head I believe 248/252 at 50, and around 585" lift, 110 lobe center. might be a little different I just haven't looked at the cam box in years

***** update, just looked at the cam numbers and it's a tad tamer than I posted originally. Sorry can't give out my exact specs but it's relatively close. Pm me if you want to know more...

Last edited:
The stands are different.

Wish I had pictures of my W-5's. I may have the adapter plates out there.

Evidently, I made my ports a D shape. I know if I did them again, I'd use a 1.500 exhaust valve. And make the exhaust port way smaller.

BTW, I used 2.100 intakes with .310 stems and it was damn tight. No way would a 2.125 valve go in there. If they are W-5's someone moved the guides.

What size is the intake. About as big as you can get. Then the seat gets into the spark plug threads

That is the biggest pain in the *** about them. Can't get the seat big enough to get a bigger valve in their.

Skrewz, the spring pockets of lack there off and the pushrod holes differ. Side of the head as well. Chambers are the same-ish?

Evidently, I made my ports a D shape. I know if I did them again, I'd use a 1.500 exhaust valve. And make the exhaust port way smaller.
Why would anybody do that I don't know? The MoPar heads can get all the exhaust they can use. Valve, port, flow!

If these were indeed Arington heads they would be used in a high end race engine. Most certainly necessitating high end rockers such as Jesel or T&D, the pushrod holes would have been located to accommodate the rocker offset which would likely have been different than the Mopar rockers.

That's the only way to do a really nice high performance or race small block Chrysler head.

Move that pushrod over and free up that port! Get rid of that pinch area. In full!

-
Back