Aluminum Heads and Gear Change?

-

hawkgoalie31

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I wanted to take some suggestions from people about putting aluminum heads on and changing my Gears in the rear end. I have a 318 rebuilt motor with flat tappet cam and edelbrock manifold and perfermance carb. I was thinking about getting the Performance RPM heads. Also I have 2 45 gears in the back with 8 1/4 rear end and i was think about 3 51s or somthing like that so I get more power around town.

Suggestions/Comments/Issues

Thanks.

i think the gears are going to give you the biggest bang for the buck and a suregrip unless you already have one:)
as for the rpm heads, they will probably give you alitle bump in compresion aswell as more flow, if they are worth it depends on if the rest of the build is up for it!

I say go for it! You will have to swap the differential for 3 something gears as the 2.71 and up gears used a separate differential from the 2.45 & lower.

Hey Guys,

I wanted to take some suggestions from people about putting aluminum heads on and changing my Gears in the rear end. I have a 318 rebuilt motor with flat tappet cam and edelbrock manifold and perfermance carb. I was thinking about getting the Performance RPM heads. Also I have 2 45 gears in the back with 8 1/4 rear end and i was think about 3 51s or somthing like that so I get more power around town.

Suggestions/Comments/Issues

Thanks.

IMO (And boy do they just float around here like a bad fart convention)

Bang for the buck, a set of milled down small valved (1.88-1.60) 360 heads with minor bowl work will be all that you'll need as far as a head goes unless your cam is a bit large, in which theres no indication of it being so. This will work out cheaper and in general better for a all around performance head for a 318.

Gear wise, I also like a 3.55 gear set. Tire size (Diamenter) should not increase to much. 26 inch or less would be excellent. (235/60/15)

Your current compresion and cam size would help alot!

-
Back