Aluminum Radiator

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone know who makes an aluminum radiator for the early A bodies?

I used a griffin crossflow from summitt - I needed to make brackets to mount it, but it works.

thier 22" ( i believe) is just right in that it allows you to weld angle and drill holes to fit in the stock location.

I went for the biggest I could fit , the tanks are within 1/4" of the frame rails.

I hope your car is newer than mine,:(
my radiator opening is 19 inch.

Jan 1964, build date, factory 273 car.

'65's/66's have a larger opening. :)

cavemanmoron said:
I hope your car is newer than mine,:(
my radiator opening is 19 inch.

Jan 1964, build date, factory 273 car.

'65's/66's have a larger opening. :)
\
19" is what I have I'll trim a little. I just need a rad that is close.

Yakima, WA

I put a 65 radiator core support in mine. I have the factory 3 core radiator that came with the core support and had it recored it also came with a matal shroud, but still thinking about going aluminum myself.

Lee

So is anyone running an aluminum radiator in a 64 early A body??

here is a contact next state over that has A-body aluminum rads in stock and will give you a good deal I'm sure www.4secondsflat.com talk to Don - tell him Leo sent you. I have one from him in my 388 stroker (19 x 22) and it runs 170* with a small viscous 5 blade.

dart4forte said:
So is anyone running an aluminum radiator in a 64 early A body??

Not me, still using the stock 19 inch wide 2 core,
but, I have added a pusher electric fan,
for when I get stuck in a traffic jam.

I'm just trying to find a good rad that will fit in the stock location for my 64

Caveman, are running a fan blade also, and brand of electic fan are using up front? I was thinking about doing that also, but didn't know if it would fit or not?

Lee

As far as I can except not being as pretty the Summit brand alum rads are just as good. The specs are the same for almost 1/2 the price. Remember these are cross flow rads, so the manifolds are on the end, the fins will still fit in the stock hole. Just measure the max space that will fit and compare to the different sizes summit offers. They don't have drain petcock and you can't get an attachment under suggested parts for cheap. Peace

moparlee said:
Caveman, are running a fan blade also, and brand of electic fan are using up front? I was thinking about doing that also, but didn't know if it would fit or not?

Lee

The water pump driven fan, is the stock one, 1964 273.

The electric fan, in front of the radiator, I think is a 14",
I bought it at Advance Auto Parts, about 6-7 years ago.

I had it in the cellar, after taking it off another car,
a bout 3 years ago.

The Valiant, with a high flow t'stat, 180f,
runs cool, except when caught in dead stopped traffic.

For the fan controller, i used a Hayden /Imperial 226203.

http://www.partsamerica.com/Product...rtnumber=226203

Cavemanmoron thanks. Talked to the guys at US radiator and found them to be very helpful. Their system performs as good or better than aluminum and is repairable by any local radiator shop. Which would be long after an aluminum radiator takes a dump. These guys sell aluminum radiators all the time but said they are just a fad and the old copper and brass is the way to go unless you want to save an extra 9-12 lbs for racing. Plus there is no need to fabricate brackets to make them fit an early a-body. Just bolts right in.

daves66valiant does US radiator make radiators to order? im gonna need one for my 64 dart, but im gonna be using a new hemi (5.7 type) which has different locations for the water hose connectors then the v8 radiator for early darts.

They make them any way you like but also use the factory specs if wanted. You can fax them a drawing/sketch with the dimensions you need or you can fill out their quote form that allows you explain your application needs. 5.7 Hemi sounds cool. I would give them a call. they were great to talk to and are familiar with most cars.

Griffin makes a radiator that bolts right in. You need to call and talk to them, tell them where you need the in and outlets, core thickness, intended use, horsepower and you're good to go. Mine bolted right in using the stock bolt holes!

Caveman: I am searching for a stock rad for the 63 valiant in case the radiator guy can't save what I have. US radiator only lists back to 65; You had a direct fit with the 64, do you know anything about the 63 , I'm thinking maybe the mounting flange on one side would be different. Thanks

-
Back