Aluminum radiator

-

gearjammer340

Reaction score
Heres a cpl pics of an aluminum radiator I'm instaling in our duster today its 27"x19.5" lots of room everywhere.
030209_14491.jpg

Had to get these mounting tabs weded onto it
030209_14531.jpg

Dunno what Im gonna do for a fan yet, I have a cpl electrics I can try or I can put the nylon flexfan that was on it back on it(dont want to)I still have the mount we built when this radiator was in another car but I have to redo the lower mounts to move the fan over about an 1/8 inch so it wont hit anything which is prob what ill do and I still have to build a shroud too. Track opens this weekend so I'll post whether or not it kept it cool enough. Its a summit radiator that we originally had in a fox mustang but that car got totalled(friends car) and I ended up with all the parts off of it so Im gonna see if this gonna be enough radiator for the duster.
Marvin

Well, they didnt race today said it was too cold ran the car around a bit though and didnt have any issues with the radiator so all seems well so far.
Marvin

What fan did you end up using? Don't use the flex fan they, I have noticed that they tend to flatten out and pass less air. If you us an electric fan make mounting brackets off the top and bottom rail of the rad do not use the push thru plastic pins that attach through the fins. They tend to vibrate and pull the fins apart.

Show us more pics too!

didnt make it to the track frirst it rained then it was too cold they said. None of the electric fans I had were thin enough to work they interfere with the fan need something under 3in thinck in the center where the waterpump pulley normally is. I could use a pusher but Ive never liked them. I have a really cool dual fan setup with a shroud with vents on the corners that open and close but its too big. The radiator more than cools the car, put the nylon fan back on til I find the electric fan that'll fit with the room I have. We went and ran it last night for a while and had no cooling issues, idled it in the garage for 30 mins and never got above 150(no thermostat just a restrictor I know everybody tells me to run a thermostat but I dont trust a 1.98 part on any of our motors so none of them have one) swapped the plugs and went and see how it runs and its pretty stupid even with the 26x11.50 hoosier quick time pro DOTs on a 10 in wheel @12 psi they had no hope in 1st or 2nd even if you peddled it in 2nd as soon as you get back on the power its over. I know its not a prepped track but it was alot more controllable when it was running low 12s. took off 906s and put on some really ported mopar stage 6s on it on a junk short block and a smallish mp sft cam in it and performer rpm. We were running out of courage b4 we ran out of power when we shifted, recall on the tach said 7-7100 rpm, not gonna say what the guts in the short block are because I allready know its on borrowed time at close to that rpm. Anyways just got a bolt on driveshaft loop from mancini Ill start another post about that. The car that all this is on is our spare parts car and still with schumaker swap headers lol.
Marvin

Well,we took the car out to get some "gas" and I was rolling about 25 mph and wooded the throttle and the tire's imediately went up in smoke,tach went 7100 rpm,car looked at the left ditch and then the right one,grabed 2nd gear again the car looked left and then right this time I caught it before the rpm's went to far and shifted into 3rd and got out it at 6200 rpm's, looked at the left ditch,got out of it at 6200 rpm.Great ride to the gas station.

SR

Sounds like a fun ride!

As far as fans go, I plan to get one to fit a 2006-up Chevy HHR. They're less than $60 brand new with built in shroud, and according to a bunch of guys on Moparts they're nearly a bolt-in on a big-block A-Body and are cooling some high-compression stroker RB motors with no problems.

He didnt tell you that run was made with the 26x11.50 hoosier quick time pro dots that are on it aired down to 12lbs lol that thing is out of control, its fun. We only had one seat on it so me and my little brother followed him when he pulled over at the gas station he said hit the recall on the tach and sure enough 7100rpm, we need to build a shortblock for this thing as its living on borrowed time now lol.We have a performer rpm plate kit on it too but not until we get a better shortblock in it. Fun car.
Marvin Jr.

Well I'm going to use it (the nos) as soon as we get the timing set at the track.It has 150hp jets in it now.
SR

IMGP1117.jpg

Absolutely no cooling issues while racing except maybe running too cool,dunno. Made back to back passes with no cooling issues at all. Didnt run as fast as I'd hoped high 11.90s @112 w/1.71 60ft.
Marvin Jr

JR's not telling all.I was in the midwest when they were at the track last Saturday and Jon ran a 11.90's.They called after the pass and I reminded them that the timing was at 30 degrees total.I said to move the timing to 34 total.JR made a pass after that that netted a 2th gain in et.

SR

Womanator, you make a routine run to the gas station an experience. :cheers:

It's a joke around are garage,going to get gas.
It's like telling the wife we're only going to have 1 beer.

Yea, car ran pretty good, only bumped the timing a cpl deg when I did it. Im gonna spray it next time out as I have a cpl full bottles left. When I bumped the timing I ran the fastest mph of the day(for the car) and was only .003 of my little brothers time who Ive prob got him by 100lbs so it's liking the timing gonna play with the jetting a little too as I think there's prob little left there too. Thanks for the offer on the fan, I found two smaller electrics that r gonna work.
Thanks,
Marvin Jr.

I picked up a rad from Wizard Cooling; aluminum with shroud and four 9" Spal electric fans. The rad is OEM size and mounting (close anyway), you can specify inlet / outlet locations and sizes. I had similar issue of clearance to water pump pulley. I have about 3/4" to spare with this setup.

Rad_passengers (2).jpg

Rad_drivers1 (2).jpg

-
Back