Aluminum slant (not mine) for sale. Wish I had the money

-
Post is gone, but I recall seeing it before. At least he has the head off so you can inspect the block surface. Many became corroded beyond re-use. The aluminum slant needs a special head gasket. I think it is now available special order (Corteco?). A hot rod magazine article compared them and found the aluminum slant no faster in drag tests, which they attributed to the block not being as stiff as the cast-iron ones.

I recall around $500. But figure $500 to ship an engine to OH. DHL used to ship heavy parts cheap, but that is gone. Big shops w/ accounts can ship affordably, but the rest of us are shut out.

In the last 5 yrs, I have seen whole cars around me on craigslist w/ alum slant (usually 1963) for ~$800. But, if it has been sitting w/ coolant in the block it is likely corroded beyond use. This ad might return. craigslist only runs an ad ~10 days, then you have to remember to re-post it. I'd rather put stuff on ebay and list until it sells, which might be a year before someone needing the part sees it.

I recall around $500. But figure $500 to ship an engine to OH.

Not even. I sold my second-to-last aluminum 225 early this year or late last year. Shipping clear across the continent, from Seattle to I forget where in the Southeast, was around a hundred bucks, via FedEx -- I walked into a FedEx Kinkos carrying the block, they crated it up (think that cost about $25) and sent it fully and properly insured. It got there in 5 days.

$100 is cheap to ship a block, though a bare aluminum block would be light. I shipped a manual Tremec tranny to AZ for $80 on DHL, air cargo no less, back when they did that (~2007). When I checked a few years later, FedEx and UPS were quoting ~$350 just to nearby states.

-
Back