Aluminum Timing Cover Damage

-

Mopar-N

Reaction score
Just picked up this timing cover to put on my 340, noticed the damage to the back of the water jacket port mating surface and was wanting some input regarding if this will seal up ok after its installed with gasket or if I should be looking for another one or maybe get it repaired somehow so there is more meat for gasket.

SB_Timing_Cover_Photo.jpg

SB_Timing_Cover_Photo2.jpg

Just picked up this timing cover to put on my 340, noticed the damage to the back of the water jacket port mating surface and was wanting some input regarding if this will seal up ok after its installed with gasket or if I should be looking for another one or maybe get it repaired somehow so there is more meat for gasket.

View attachment 1715989994

My 2C worth..

Ive used this many times for repairs including a base pan with a too low sump that scraped a curb. 20 years later still no leaks. It will work just fine to repair the timing cover.

817yHtzdyRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Is it flat? Put up against your block and try to rock it on the flat surface. Sealants generally do a good job of sealing one that has minor imperfections.

I'd be more concerned with that lip at the other end on the hole, what is that 1/8" x 3/4" flow restriction.

I'd use it, flat sand it, use a good sealer and there should be no issues. I bought a new cover about fifteen years ago and it's been fine. On the one I bought the crank seal installs from the outside.

I've had to take more than one SB timing cover in for a resurfacing. I've had plenty of leaks from them.
On my most recent (sold) Dakota I had reciepts from where the PO had had the water pump done at 86k.
At 92k, it leaked right there. He paid the same idiots AGAIN for it to be taken apart a 2nd time to replace the timing cover gasket.
I got it with 105k on it, by 120k, I had it apart for the same leak, right under The alternator, and the timing cover looked like the one in the post above.
I had another one here that had suffered the same fate that I'd replaced previous on another engine, I took it to the machine shop and had them mill off enough to get rid of the pits, I think it took like 15-thou he had said at the time.
EQ, yeah the company that used to sell a dang good magnum head replacement also sells reman parts, among them that they sell is a reman timing cover for these engines. Know how they " reman," them? By putting it in a mill and shaving off enough to get rid of the pits. I've been working on and owning mopars since the mid 80s and until about 7-8 years ago never saw one pitted up on the gasket surface like that.
In those 7-8 years I'd guess I've had to fix 1 of them a year for that condition

I recently replaced my timing chain cover
For the same type of corrosion/leaks.
Local napa had one in stock.
(It has the timing marks on the driver side
If you need the earlier style with timing marks on pass side I'm not sure if anyone makes that one new.)

I recently replaced my timing chain cover
For the same type of corrosion/leaks.
Local napa had one in stock.
(It has the timing marks on the driver side
If you need the earlier style with timing marks on pass side I'm not sure if anyone makes that one new.)
No thanks on Chinese parts

I've had to take more than one SB timing cover in for a resurfacing. I've had plenty of leaks from them.
On my most recent (sold) Dakota I had reciepts from where the PO had had the water pump done at 86k.
At 92k, it leaked right there. He paid the same idiots AGAIN for it to be taken apart a 2nd time to replace the timing cover gasket.
I got it with 105k on it, by 120k, I had it apart for the same leak, right under The alternator, and the timing cover looked like the one in the post above.
I had another one here that had suffered the same fate that I'd replaced previous on another engine, I took it to the machine shop and had them mill off enough to get rid of the pits, I think it took like 15-thou he had said at the time.
EQ, yeah the company that used to sell a dang good magnum head replacement also sells reman parts, among them that they sell is a reman timing cover for these engines. Know how they " reman," them? By putting it in a mill and shaving off enough to get rid of the pits. I've been working on and owning mopars since the mid 80s and until about 7-8 years ago never saw one pitted up on the gasket surface like that.
In those 7-8 years I'd guess I've had to fix 1 of them a year for that condition
Crappy mechanic(s).

Not everyone has the bucks to run out and by new parts every time something ain't perfect. That **** gets expensive real quick............
:rofl:

Last edited:
I bought that truck with a PILE of reciepts, was largely what made me decide to get that one, seemed it was well maintained. But everything that was done seemed like it needed done 4x (how many serpentine belts and tensioners would you expect an "old man owned" truck to go thru in 17 years/52k miles? I got it with 104k miles and dang near everything I had to touch besides things like oil changes had been done at least once while the last guy had it, and things that would make me want to seek out this place and punch out somebody's teeth, as badly as they took advantage of this guy.
Some of the last work he had them do before his family sold the truck (he was 86 and in rehab for a busted hip when I bought it) was 2 alignments, within less than 300 miles and a month apart. 1200 miles from the 1st alignment he had done, til I bought it.
He'd taken it in "pulling left". I bought it 100 miles away from me.
They re-did it within a month (and charged him again too) and when I drove it home it was all I could do to keep it from wanting to pull me in the ditch. As soon as I got it home I put a jack under it and 3 of the 4 ball joints were literally ready to fall out. I replaced them within a couple of days and had it aligned AGAIN no more pull.
The fact they did shoddy work, didn't stand behind it and still left the guy with an unsafe truck pisses me off. They were good about leaving notes for other work all the other times he had them work on it, nothing noted about ball joints. They didn't get that bad in 1200 miles and anyone whose ever aligned a car knows that slop can't be aligned out or compensated for.
And the $849 bill for replacing brake lines . And I felt I was overcharging the last guy I did brake lines front to back on a Dakota, and charged that guy $250
Then taking advantage but not including 2 12 dollar front hoses in the job? When I did the ball joints I discovered they were shot too.
This was a "good ol dude that just said *fix it" and wrote a check for whatever number they threw out, I don't know if he even knew what they did/didn't do to his truck... Businesses like that need to be forced out.

Hey what was the red "x" for? I hope it was an accidental "fat thumb". Nothing there to agree or disagree with.

Crappy mechanic(s).

Not everyone has the bucks to run out and by new parts every time something ain't perfect. That **** gets expensive real quick............
:rofl:
A 79 buck timing cover is a whole hell of a lot better than ripping it all back apart.

What's the name of that stuff? Alumalloy? I always wanted to try it but JB weld and finish with a file or sandpaper to make it flat would probably work well. Oh, here's a video.

View attachment 1715989994

View attachment 1715990010
What did you end up doing and how did it work out?

What's the name of that stuff? Alumalloy? I always wanted to try it but JB weld and finish with a file or sandpaper to make it flat would probably work well. Oh, here's a video.

I bought some of this aluminum rod at a home show years back. Works good. Reminds me of welding with coat hangers back in the day.

-
Back