Aluminum Valve Spring Retainers

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Anyone still using them? My bracket racer had them back in the '70s on a solid cam (high lift) valve train with dual valve spirngs. I never found a problem with them.

Thought about using them back in the early 80's on a 440 I built, the ones I had were new from Direct Connection, but ended up running Isky dual springs with high seat and open pressures, ended up using some Comp Cams steel ones. I've used various alloy retainers on vintage British motorcycles (Triumphs and Royal Enfields) with no issues but the pressures open and closed we're on the mild side. Biggest issue would be flaking and galling or locks pulling thru, and limited to only so much spring pressures, always read they were not the best choice for a streeter. I'd be in the "don't bother" crowd on a v8

I still have cracked ones. Avoid like the plague, unless you want to change them all the time. Compare with beehive retainers, lighter and stronger with fatigue strength.

Used them in the 60's... hard anodizing might help with wear but they are a wear item like spark plugs.

Beehive springs and the accompanying retainers are better in every single way.

Melt them down and pour them into the heat cross-over passages in iron heads to block them off.

Melt them down and pour them into the heat cross-over passages in iron heads to block them off.
Just Replaced all retainers with steel. Dodged the bullet when one broke in half. Luckily the other half stead in place, could have dropped the valve. 340 30 over with a 408 cam

Just Replaced all retainers with steel. Dodged the bullet when one broke in half. Luckily the other half stead in place, could have dropped the valve. 340 30 over with a 408 cam
Not 408 it's a 508 Ron

With modern options I can't think of a reason to buy new ones on purpose. I still have them on My built Slanty w/the DC Red 340HP singles & dampers, pounded & revved
the piss out of 'em & drove the car year 'round for nearly 8yrs. I'll still use them w/those springs, but nothing more, I think that's as much as I'd trust them holding long-
term. Only issue I can see is the wound damper scratched the anodizing off,...............................

LOL! It may be a moot point anyway as I'm changing valves etc. possibly requiring different ones.

-
Back