aluminum vs. cast iron heads

-
He's here often. Just dosen't post that much. His way of doing things bucks what most people "think" is the way to go. Don't think, know what your doing and what you need for what you want to do.

When he puts up an answer, it often ends up in a argumentive like battle in what he recomends. Funny, he's been there and done that and proves it over and over again, but some people just keep on coming back saying he doesn't know what he's talking about. Often recomending more work than needed or they recomend a poor direction. (Overkill) They'll recomend overpriced, over worked heads when it is simply not needed.

How many MoPar guys port heads for a living?
How many have raced with top fuel/alchol teams?
How many MoPar head porters here currently race every living chance they get?
How many have patents hanging on there wall for automotive cylinder head design?
How many are on this site willing to help out and talk to you for free?
How many will port your heads at a very reasonable price for what you need rather than what you think you need?

Answer, BJR ; http://www.bjrracing.com/

I've spoken to a few head porters. A couple of MoPar only guys. I'm backing one man out of the slew I have ever spoke with. You want to port your heads? Then you want it done right. Talk with BJR. Tell him everything about the engine and if your not there yet, tell him where you want to be. (This is part of "Make a plan and stick with it or pay more money and go slower.)
He'll set you up well.

Thanks Rob,
Your right I don't get on here and post often, but when I do I know that I'm right because I have done what I post. And yes it does buck others but I know it works. Hey look if you want aluminums instead of irons then so be it, but don't come saying how good the aluminums are when I have irons that are doing better and can prove it. How many iron stock casting heads run 5.20's in the 1/8 @ 133.42 MPH? Lets see them and without NOS all engine only. Also too it is 468 CI.

In my case I wish I had bought aluminum heads to start with. I took a set of J heads (SB) had them opened up for larger valves, hardened seats, bronze guides, new springs, valves, keepers and when i got done a little more could have had the aluminum.

Then I kept having valve train problems so they were done again, now I have more than cost of aluminum in a set of old iron heads

Buy the best to start and don't look back

Valve train problems?
What did you do to the heads to create this valve train problem?

ported edelbrocks arent flowing with ported w2`s
my w2`s flow at 200 -131.5 cfm
300 -189.8 cfm
400 -246.3 cfm
500 -290.6 cfm
600 -315.9 cfm
650 -310.5 cfm

But guys this is a big block issue not small block issue, this should be another topic. I know this won't get any attention.

..........lol

But guys this is a big block issue not small block issue, this should be another topic. I know this won't get any attention.

..........lol

Yea you're right the guys are getting off the original "who's running the 440 Source BB heads" but as you know this is FABO.
I'm kind of a fence sitter on the Aluminum heads from whom ever argument. A few years back when I was building this 383 I looked at Edelbrock RPM's and said to myself do I want the added expense and mystery of Aluminums (a few years back there were still a lot of unknowns) or do I dance with the devil I know. I stuck with the 902's and with all new guts and porting and polishing, that I did myself, I figure I've got $1000 into the pair and I'm confident with what I brought to the party. If they crap out I got a set of bare 906's whispering in my ear in the garage just in case.

Terry

Big block and you have nothing for a street/strip car - Indy areo iron $499 or Stealth Alum $899 or Eddy alum $1499 I would not buy a set of iron heads then redo them porting or not.

Small block and you have nothing for a street/strip car - eddy's alum w2 is you have big pockets for the intake and header issues related or buy reworked "J" heads that someone else took off for W2's

just my 2cents

How many different heads came on small block mopars, specifically in 1970? What did W-2's and J heads come on?

Big block and you have nothing for a street/strip car - Indy areo iron $499 or Stealth Alum $899 or Eddy alum $1499 I would not buy a set of iron heads then redo them porting or not.

Small block and you have nothing for a street/strip car - eddy's alum w2 is you have big pockets for the intake and header issues related or buy reworked "J" heads that someone else took off for W2's

just my 2cents

What was your 2cents???

Are you saying there are no good high flow hassle free heads or ?

I am running a set of the 440 source stealth heads on my 440 and here it what I found out...They are advetised as "at about" 84 cc chambers as cast, Mine were actually 90 cc, I had mine milled to 82 cc! They advertise 280 - 290 cfm intake flow, mine came in at 270 cfm, I had Knowltons Thunder heads check these heads out and all the did was clean up the pinch area around each valve stem to get an equal 280 cfm at 600 lift. Take a look at pics in my profile to see that once painted and in the car even most mopar guys cant tell I am running aluminum heads! To be fair to the crew at 440 source I have seen the above issues in the edelbrock heads! So to sum it up...If you want the internals of an edelbrock head and the look of a stock mopar head than the 440 source stealth heads are the way to go hands down! But remember...used Iron, eddys or stealth heads...Take them to a good reputable head place such as Knowtons and have them thouroghly checked out and brought into your desired specs. So for price, weight, looks and performance I will only use the stealth heads on my street motors. But hey thats just my experience and opinion!:toothy7::toothy7::toothy7::toothy7:

will aluminum heads warp on the street? lets say in 110 degree temp weather & youre stuck in traffic.

nothing beats the indy 440 C

will aluminum heads warp on the street? lets say in 110 degree temp weather & youre stuck in traffic.

nothing beats the indy 440 C

Been driving my 73 duster with eddy heads for 3 yrs out here in Vegas...and it has seen heat of 110 in traffic...

-
Back