Aluminum water pump housing and alt. bracket help needed.

-

mopower440

Reaction score
I got the 440 source aluminum water pump housing, water pump and billet alternator bracket setup and have some questions..Currently i have the 4 groove lower crank pulley and the water pump pulley is a single groove that sets way out away from the pump. First, the new billet alternator bracketry puts the alternator in a different spot it was in, so the water pump pulley wont work anymore..i need a water pump pulley that has the deep nose on it so the pulley will sit back further (toward the firewall) ..I have one i got from a swap meet a long time ago but its too big around so it hits the lower crank pulley, and it doesnt quite line up with it anyways but it is close, attached is a pic of the smaller pulley ive been using and the deep nosed one. So, i need to figure out what water pump pulley will work..
Next is the aluminum water pump i bought..i got it a few years ago and never got around to putting it on until today, but after doing some reading it seems it may be a mistake to use it..? It has the curved impeller vanes on it and from what ive read they arent worth a darn..lots of complaints of that style making the engine run hot. The one ive been running is the OEM 6 blade style with the straight blades.I want the absolute best style mechanical pump as this thing likes to run warm anyway..I saw that autozone carries an 8 blade that looks identical to my 6 blade OEM besides the 2 extra blades..What do you all recommend as the best mechanical pump style? If need be i will buy a better one..
wp.jpg
wp2.jpg
wp3.jpg
wp3.jpg
wp3.jpg

What are the pulleys diameter and height when you measure them. I have a couple of spare pulleys hanging around.

What are the pulleys diameter and height when you measure them. I have a couple of spare pulleys hanging around.

The smaller diameter pulley ive been using is 5 3/4 and its 1 1/4 deep. It worked with the old bracketry it was kinda rigged as that pulley and the 4 groove crank pulley werent a matched set so i rigged the old bracket a bit. Now that i have a nice bracket setup they dont line up. The Bigger pulley in the picture is 6 1/2" and 2 3/4 deep. It ALMOST lines up with the alternator and the rear groove on the crank pulley but not quite, plus its too big and hits the crank pulley a little, ALSO, i cant go bigger with the water pump pulley anyways because the thing likes to get a little warm in the 100 degree heat here when not moving or not moving fast enough..

Rats! All W/P pulleys are 6-7/8’s in diameter.
Sorry dude.

Rats! All W/P pulleys are 6-7/8’s in diameter.
Sorry dude.
Thats ok, thanks for looking! Im not even sure what all sizes they had..i may need to change the crank pulley to a smaller one..need some guidance on this because im not sure what all will work. The car only has the alternator and water pump..no AC and no Power steering..

Measure your deep w/p pulley probably 6.5” diameter. Your crank pulley and shallow water pump pulley are set up for a/c and power steering. The deep pulley you have should work with the correct single belt crank pulley. The belt should line up on the back groove on alternator. I’d pull crank pulley and slide on w/p pulley to see how it aligns. Both the w/p and crank pulley are available from 440 source and I am using those. But if the w/p pulley you have aligns with back pulley on alt you should just need the crank pulley. The new ones are about $100 a set and will work together.

Single Groove Crank Pulley - New Reproduction-440 Source

Water Pump Pulley - Non A/C - New Reproduction-440 Source

Measure your deep w/p pulley probably 6.5” diameter. Your crank pulley and shallow water pump pulley are set up for a/c and power steering. The deep pulley you have should work with the correct single belt crank pulley. The belt should line up on the back groove on alternator. I’d pull crank pulley and slide on w/p pulley to see how it aligns. Both the w/p and crank pulley are available from 440 source and I am using those. But if the w/p pulley you have aligns with back pulley on alt you should just need the crank pulley. The new ones are about $100 a set and will work together.

Single Groove Crank Pulley - New Reproduction-440 Source

Water Pump Pulley - Non A/C - New Reproduction-440 Source
Thanks for that info! I will check this out! The ONLY possible problem if this does work is going to the larger water pump pulley..I really need to go smaller as this thing gets warm at idle or low RPM..i guess I will have to try a larger radiator.

Last edited:
I understand. I’ve searched all over looking for a smaller diameter w/p pulley. Best I’ve done is 6 1/4”. That was on eBay, I bought it. All the aluminum sets I’ve seen want to under drive the water pump.

Another thing im unsure of now is the billet alternator bracket set I got..im not sure if it is for an AC car or a non- AC car..Seems like they only offered on part# for this bracket setup though..

You have to start at the beginning which is the crank . Get rid of that A/C crank pulley . You can't use it unless you have A/C . Get a 1 or 2 groove crank pulley . Install your alternator . Place a straightedge from your alt. to your crank in the center of the pulleys . Measure from the straightedge to the face of the water pump . this is the offset water pump pulley that you need . You can't mix A/C pulleys and non-A/C pulleys . It'll never work that way .

You have to start at the beginning which is the crank . Get rid of that A/C crank pulley . You can't use it unless you have A/C . Get a 1 or 2 groove crank pulley . Install your alternator . Place a straightedge from your alt. to your crank in the center of the pulleys . Measure from the straightedge to the face of the water pump . this is the offset water pump pulley that you need . You can't mix A/C pulleys and non-A/C pulleys . It'll never work that way .
I see the 440 source has the Non-AC pulleys so I will order the crank pulley from them.

So whats the general opinion on the aluminum water pump i posted above? Any first hand experience? I ordered it a few years ago and just now installing it but seems like i remember after getting it, reading a bunch about it being junk with those curved vanes..??

-
Back