AlV 69 Dodge GTS project

-
Radiator support blackout treatment

10686842_723835901032120_4454606800131078316_n_zpscbcfzwoa.jpg

10606518_723835917698785_3123747498560081109_n_zps9ou8kskd.jpg

Almost ready to come home.

Looks good, but you will still see some blue thru the grille.

Good eye..

Interesting you should say that, I looked back at the photos I posted in Body and trim and there is 3 to 4 inch section next to the light bucket that should be blacked.

AlV

I stumbled onto your thread here and just had to show my age.
46 years ago in 1968 I ordered a brand new 1969 Dart GT, nope not the GTS, my little girl was 3 and I had just built a new house so the 318 4 speed had to do.
The neat thing is that it was the same color as yours with black vinyl roof and white vinyl interior. The best thing about it is it came into the dealership a month before they would reveal the new models. I found out about it being there and talked the dealer into letting me have it before any were allowed on the road for that month. (Back then new model introductions were huge affairs with search lights in the skies, free hot dogs and popcorn, and covered windows til the day of introduction. All the manufacturers did the same thing and no new models were allowed release til that day).
Your doing one hell of a job on your restoration, it is now and was back then a real nice car. A "tip of the hat" from an old Geezer.

That's a cool story. I could just picture the dealers at the time.

When we talk about those times one of us often says "We lived in the best of times" and it is true.
There was only "The Big Three" and you were what you drove. The only bad thing for me and very few others is that being in a GM (Saginaw had GM foundries, Flint had GM assembly plants) dominated area we were outcasts until we stuck it in someones A__ at a light.
We had to go down to Woodward Ave on Friday nights after we took the girls home to really enjoy the weekend. Oh yea, gas was only .30 cents a gallon.
I really wish all gearheads could have lived those days.

I stumbled onto your thread here and just had to show my age.
46 years ago in 1968 I ordered a brand new 1969 Dart GT, nope not the GTS, my little girl was 3 and I had just built a new house so the 318 4 speed had to do.
The neat thing is that it was the same color as yours with black vinyl roof and white vinyl interior. The best thing about it is it came into the dealership a month before they would reveal the new models. I found out about it being there and talked the dealer into letting me have it before any were allowed on the road for that month. (Back then new model introductions were huge affairs with search lights in the skies, free hot dogs and popcorn, and covered windows til the day of introduction. All the manufacturers did the same thing and no new models were allowed release til that day).
Your doing one hell of a job on your restoration, it is now and was back then a real nice car. A "tip of the hat" from an old Geezer.

Great Story Geezer! Getting that car on the road a month early was a nice piece of convincing!

Thanks for the Kudos! Hopefully I can get it on the road by the summer. and start meeting up with everyone.

When we talk about those times one of us often says "We lived in the best of times" and it is true.
There was only "The Big Three" and you were what you drove. The only bad thing for me and very few others is that being in a GM (Saginaw had GM foundries, Flint had GM assembly plants) dominated area we were outcasts until we stuck it in someones A__ at a light.
We had to go down to Woodward Ave on Friday nights after we took the girls home to really enjoy the weekend. Oh yea, gas was only .30 cents a gallon.
I really wish all gearheads could have lived those days.

Geezer, Man I love hearing the stories..... too bad I just missed out on it. lol

Love following this thread - I nefariously stalk all these builds here as I save money and collect parts for mine. At least I got the car - the hard part is done! I like the novelty of the stripe, glad you weren't afraid to break the mold!

Geezer, thanks for chiming in here. If you have any old pics (or more stories) I can guarantee we'd ALL like to hear and see 'em - consider starting a thread??!!

gk

Love following this thread - I nefariously stalk all these builds here as I save money and collect parts for mine. At least I got the car - the hard part is done! I like the novelty of the stripe, glad you weren't afraid to break the mold!

Geezer, thanks for chiming in here. If you have any old pics (or more stories) I can guarantee we'd ALL like to hear and see 'em - consider starting a thread??!!

gk

Nefariously! that's a great word Geo! do you have a thread start for your build?

After a long vacation at the auto spa with Mark the Dart is ready to come home!

I built an 8x12 shed to move all of the parts and equipment into.

10570499_735468616535515_4242018397821692532_n_zpsgyibmipm.jpg

With the lil garage all cleared out, it's all ready.

1966846_728887503860293_1687426033064338104_n_zpsx2bugmsh.jpg

10698595_728887487193628_1326625697922330229_n_zpsrauveoqw.jpg

1907901_728887560526954_7124282195459654235_n_zpscynxgjor.jpg

Thanks to Mark and Tom for taking such good care of her.

Just from the pictures alone I can say the paint is a lot better than mine was new. Ya think in 45 years paint technology has gotten pretty damn good maybe?
Exact same color, exact same top, damn, I'm getting jealous.
The '69 is the best of those bodies, little wider rear window and better looking grille than the '68. Then across the back, better tail lights and matching grille, than the '70's, lot cleaner, not so bulky look to the rear.
Great job man.
Ok Geo4K I'll see if I can find some old picts for you, all I'll be able to do is shoot them with the digital and see how they come out. Thanks for the interest.

Oh I love this Dart.. (of course I am a bit biased to the color choices LOL) and I love the stripe treatment on the hood.. I really think that looks wild!

Geo4K, this is for you. Now I got to figure out how to add the pictures.

That was easy, thanks.

A Footnote should be added here.

When the '69 was introduced Dodge had what they called the "Dodge Girls" that posed with the cars. When I took these pictures I dressed my daughter in all white like the Dodge Girls and set her on the car. These are the results. Too bad we didn't have digital cameras back then, the pictures would have been more centered and we would have got the whole car in. Color isn't accurate either, AVI's is right on and fantastic.

Attachments

• IMG_2770.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_2772.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_2773.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_2774.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 465
Just from the pictures alone I can say the paint is a lot better than mine was new. Ya think in 45 years paint technology has gotten pretty damn good maybe?
Exact same color, exact same top, damn, I'm getting jealous.
The '69 is the best of those bodies, little wider rear window and better looking grille than the '68. Then across the back, better tail lights and matching grille, than the '70's, lot cleaner, not so bulky look to the rear.
Great job man.
Ok Geo4K I'll see if I can find some old picts for you, all I'll be able to do is shoot them with the digital and see how they come out. Thanks for the interest.

Geezer, You nailed it but ya also gotta give a lot of credit to the tech :)

Oh I love this Dart.. (of course I am a bit biased to the color choices LOL) and I love the stripe treatment on the hood.. I really think that looks wild!

Thanks Bill!

Hey! I read through your build thread last night all I can say is WOW! great JoB.
I'll be calling you for tips

If you wouldn't mind, I need a close up of your C- pillar (Sail panel) emblems with measurements so that I can locate the holes and ind install mine :)

Geo4K, this is for you. Now I got to figure out how to add the pictures.

That was easy, thanks.

A Footnote should be added here.

When the '69 was introduced Dodge had what they called the "Dodge Girls" that posed with the cars. When I took these pictures I dressed my daughter in all white like the Dodge Girls and set her on the car. These are the results. Too bad we didn't have digital cameras back then, the pictures would have been more centered and we would have got the whole car in. Color isn't accurate either, AVI's is right on and fantastic.

Geezer, first off what a great looking dart! and second your daughter posing mind me smile from ear to ear. that was awesome!

Thanks Bill!

Hey! I read through your build thread last night all I can say is WOW! great JoB.
I'll be calling you for tips

If you wouldn't mind, I need a close up of your C- pillar (Sail panel) emblems with measurements so that I can locate the holes and ind install mine :)

Thanks for checking out my thread, and thanks for the compliments.. But I have to say, my paint is nowhere near as nice as yours.. Yours truly is smooth as glass.. As for that sail panel emblem info, actually only one of my emblems is on.. (the other one, the studs were broke.. So I have to get another set.. Luckily mine had the emblems on it before, and we poked the holes in the top when we installed the top.. I rent garage space for the buggy about 15-20 minutes from my house.. Its all tucked away for the winter, but I usually go start it up once or twice a month to keep the battery charged.. Next time im there I will take some measurements for you my friend... Have a Happy Turkey Day!

Looking at both your car and Bill's makes me want paint all the more! Both of your cars turned out very nicely. Gives me something to work towards, nice job!

Thanks for posting Geezer! I don't want to hijack this thread but I'll say that I am still collecting parts and money for my build and have yet to post or start a thread for my Swinger.

-
Back