From the sounds of it, they did a good job
of building it Moper..
The mufflers are too loud and the idle up too high,
I believe to sling oil during breakin.
Its got plenty of compression and cam, I think it will smooth out
a little with some miles and tune.
It looks to be a very well done car that will get
noticed at any show!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a mopar shop in or near Charlotte, NC? Regardless of my ultimate resolution, I should find one for when I do try to work on my car in the future. (It doesn't always go well :) )

I'm not questioning the quality of the job. But what they did does not meet with the owner's expectations thus far & the customer is king. If the communication wasn't crystal clear it just means he'll need to pay for the changes if it can't be tuned to where he likes it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a mopar shop in or near Charlotte, NC? Regardless of my ultimate resolution, I should find one for when I do try to work on my car in the future. (It doesn't always go well :) )

Hey it was great to meet you yesterday along with Mcodecuda. It seemed like he had some good suggestions for you. I hope you get the Duster the way you want it. It sure is gorgeous.

Hey it was great to meet you yesterday along with Mcodecuda. It seemed like he had some good suggestions for you. I hope you get the Duster the way you want it. It sure is gorgeous.

Thanks! It was good to meet you guys, too. Hopefully this will all get worked out soon and then we can just talk about driving it :)

Update:

I took the car back this past weekend to get the fluids changed and talk a little about the motor. The shop said he and the motor guy have been talking about the best way to get what I want now that they know I was looking for more stock performance. They are used to talking to people who understand what all the work being done actually means (head work and such), but now are crystal clear on what I was looking for with the build.

Now that leaves us with two options:
1) Change the cam: The shop and motor guy don't really want to do this unless absolutely necessary because it would be a waste of all the building that was done to support the cam.
2) Sell the motor and start over: The shop has a customer who may be interested in buying the motor outright and then we start over and build a stock motor. The stock motor would be cheaper than what I paid for the motor currently in my car, so, ideally, I may come out ahead. Although I doubt that to be true given labor costs for the motor build and swap. We haven't talked price yet, but my goal would be to not spend more than a cam swap would cost out of pocket for this build. This option may not be available until the spring, depending on the customer's circumstances, but it sounds like a win-win option if the price is right.

It looks to me like this should be resolved to my liking in a few months so I'm pretty happy at the moment with how things are looking to turn out. I'll probably wait on the motor changes to decide if I want to swap the mufflers or not.

It's your car, so not being critical of whatever you decide, but to me, either option seems like an overreaction. I read the whole thread just now, and as previously suggested, I would, in this order: 1) Get it tuned up by a Mopar guy who knows what you're after, and 2) put on quieter mufflers and do the other exhaust mods mentioned as necessary (could need a tune tweak after this of course).

I have a hard time believing that those mods wouldn't put you close to where you want to be. Maybe not exactly the same as a different engine build, but close enough for it to not matter. A stock 340 will still feel very "high performance", just a little tamer. A whole engine swap seems overkill to fix this, or even a cam swap maybe. Many of us would love to have a car/engine like that!

Just my 2c. Good luck, beautiful car!

All your problems are the risks you take when you farm all the work out and don't know how mechanical things work.

Old cars are expensive unless you do the majority of the work yourself , that's one reason I started learning to turn wrenches when I got my first car in 1977

Dude your nut's!! change the mufflers , increase the timing and lower the idle. Then have fun. unless your really mad at your money.

-
Back