am I going to fry something??

-

aengineguy

Reaction score
on my fairly radical 408 I have a Mallory magnetic breakerless distributor with a Mallory 6AL box. When the engine is warm it is turning over slow due to timing. I am running 24 initial with 34 total, no vacuum advance. I have a switch to turn on the ignition. No problem when cold. Can I leave the ignition switch off, get the engine rotating and then turn the ignition on to fire? ....at least when I am having a bump back issue that is. Am I going to toast the sparky things? I know, I know.....I should have purchased a spark retard box. The little redhead wanted to buy groceries that week!

Thanks.....!!

Why not just dial back your initial and adjust your total?

That works. I have a Mopar distributor with an electric retard solenoid built in that I used for just that purpose. It was also helpful in the top end depending on conditions.

Isn't the advance adjustable in the Mallory? Put some more curve into it? Otherwise, if it runs good there, what you are doing is probably OK

Thanks for the comments....Yeah I guess I was trying to get around pulling the distributor out again, but if I need to do it right, I should. It runs so good now, I was trying to avoid. Will back off the initial a little and adjust the mechanical in the dist. for a little more total. I think I have the mechanical all in by about 1700 or so, may go to a different spring setup to bring this down some.

Don't forget there is a possibility of exploding your exhaust system by turning on the ignition after the engine is already cranking.

-
Back