Am i missing something with the shifter?

-

Vamisk

Reaction score
So i've been playing around with the accelerator pump and my usual method is to just use reverse or 1.
Today i noticed that one shift up from 1 is 2 but then if i shifted up again it's in neutral?

So I think i'm either missing D or 1. Unfortunately my driveway is too short to find out.
Is this where i find out A904 is actually PRNDL?

You have managed to completely confuse me. Is this a factory column? floor? aftermarket, what?

No Torqueflite for these cars was ever made without PRND21, unless they have an AFTERMARKET kit or body installed which results in PRN123, and 3 is not "Drive" it's "3rd"

Either you have a shifter damaged or out of adjustment, somehow.

Need a bit more info. If you are using an aftermarket floor shift, I suspect it's out of adjustment.

904's do have 1,2 and D

Sorry my apologies. It's a standard column shifter. As far as i know the linkage is completely stock but loose and worn out.
Park, reverse, and neutral are all where they should be so i'm led to believe I'm missing first gear.
How about i just go make a video?

I just raise the rear end on jack stands, so the wheels can spin and you can check out the gear range to see if you have all the gears. You can adjust your linkage if needed and check to see if your plastic bushings are wornout. I had a car that would not shift into low grear because the plastic bushing was worn out, I replaced the bushing and I had low gear again.

I just raise the rear end on jack stands, so the wheels can spin and you can check out the gear range to see if you have all the gears. You can adjust your linkage if needed and check to see if your plastic bushings are wornout. I had a car that would not shift into low grear because the plastic bushing was worn out, I replaced the bushing and I had low gear again.

That would be a nightmare if that's the case.

Here's what I would "head." Assume the shifter is worn and does not have enough travel to get to "1." Count the "clicks." Start "where you know", IE reverse

then count clicks down as far a shifter will go. Leave it there, shut it off, with wheels blocked, etc, jack it up crawl under and with hand, pliers, etc, verify that you can move the transmission lever ONE MORE CLICK, which gets you to low.

If the shifter is worn enough, be careful of adjusting it. You might reach a point where you can reach low, but then it won't reliably engage PARK which would be WORSE

There is an adjustment/ set screw underneath. Download yourself a factory shop manual, free, at MyMopar

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - MyMopar Tools/Reference

I downloaded the manual, just to confirm, is what i'm supposed to be adjusting the gearshift control lever?

torqueflite.PNG

Closest you can get at MyMopar is the 73 Dodge manual. Page 21-47 is first of Torqueflite stuff

21-78, "maintenance and adjustments"

Crops from page 21-79 and 80

The bolt pointing down where the arrow says "swivel assembly" is your adjustment. THIS WILL NOT make up for severely worn column or bushings if things are bad enough

adjust.jpg

adjust2.jpg

Its pretty on the mark with P,R, and N. I'm hoping something just got accident bumped. Thanks for the information.

It might just be worn here and there, in the column, the pivots, bushings. I don't know what Ma intended, it certainly was not for these girls to be around 40-50 years later!!

-
Back