Am I wrong ?

-

340john

Reaction score
We are still dealing with power outages. I get a call from the shops owner wednesday night saying that the shop will not have power for at least 5 days and we will not be working until power comes back on. I find out today that our new manager still wants to open the shop and have us work. no lights, no heat, no compressors, no air tools, no priming, no painting, etc. He called some of the guys and told them to come in, some did, some didn't. How could people be expected to work in those conditions, in a bodyshop which is very dangerous when you are in the dark, is it just me ? What would OSHA say ?

No. Sometimes you have to put your foot down. They will respect you in the long run for it.

Contact OSHA and the states Department of Labor....

I would not do it, unless I was starving, and then I would try to figure something else out until they got back on the grid.

They can't force you to work. I doubt they would even try. I would just enjoy the time off and ONLY worry if they try to force you to come in. I would ignore what your co-workers say because it's probably half Bull Sh%t.

I had a dealerships manager leave us a nasty message because we didnt open Tuesday and he needed a window retinted. People amaze me.

Where there is an American that wont there is a Mexican that will.

Are you being paid piece work, hourly or salary? Are you currently using vacation time?
I am sure there is work that can be completed without endangering people and still earning a pay check. I do not see whats wrong with showing up when asked then access what work he is asking you to do.
Refusing to show could be construed as resigning your position which unemployment does not pay on. From a management perspective. It is a business, not personal. Might not be what you want to hear, but there it is. It might not be the "perfect" working environment but there are some who do have it a lot worse.

We are still dealing with power outages. I get a call from the shops owner wednesday night saying that the shop will not have power for at least 5 days and we will not be working until power comes back on. I find out today that our new manager still wants to open the shop and have us work. no lights, no heat, no compressors, no air tools, no priming, no painting, etc. He called some of the guys and told them to come in, some did, some didn't. How could people be expected to work in those conditions, in a bodyshop which is very dangerous when you are in the dark, is it just me ? What would OSHA say ?

Hmm... sounds like the shop I built my first two cars in back in the 60's. :thumbup:

If a man is out in middle of the forest talking,

And there is no woman around to hear him,

IS HE STILL WRONG???

Are you being paid piece work, hourly or salary? Are you currently using vacation time?
I am sure there is work that can be completed without endangering people and still earning a pay check. I do not see whats wrong with showing up when asked then access what work he is asking you to do.
Refusing to show could be construed as resigning your position which unemployment does not pay on. From a management perspective. It is a business, not personal. Might not be what you want to hear, but there it is. It might not be the "perfect" working environment but there are some who do have it a lot worse.

You said "showing up when you are asked to". That's just it, some were called and some weren't. The one's that were called and worked, will get paid for the days and the ones that weren't called or didn't work, won't get paid. Our painter wasn't even considered since no power means he couldn't paint, and god forbid our norrow minded manager give him any other task to do. I wasn't called so no pay for me. I am not racist so don't take it that way, but the Mexican guy and the Puruvian guy were the only ones called in. Pedro (the Puruvian) is one of my best friends by the way, calls me from the shop. I go there and they are working. I ask what they are doing and was told "didn't think to call you, if you wanted to work you should have come in". I said "I was told I would get a call when the power came back on". His reply to me was "if you weren't a puss* it wouldn't matter". I have been dealing with Fibromyalgia for 3 years, the cold nearly cripples me. And this jackhole wants me to work with the doors open in 40 degree weather. Between the Fibro, migraines, and my back/spinal issues the doctor recomends I go out on dissability...but I can't afford to.

Perhaps the payroll for the mentioned was less than the others (painter) for the work needed or thought to be needed. Hard to guess from the sidelines just trying to answer your question from another perspective.

He is being paid for productivity, profitability and performance from leadership. When these fall his job is in jeopardy. I will not and no more than you can not afford to have someone steal the food off of my plate as it were.

Unless your disability is part of a workers comp claim through your employer it is not a concern to him unless it compromises the above productivity. Your ability to handle the work load expected vs actual. Sad but true.
The way he spoke to you was marginally out of line and there are laws to protect the disabled that govern that.

I had to change professions after 27 years of wrenching body could not maintain, back, wrists and knees.... I am doing better now then I was, both psychically and monetarily. Perhaps take this opportunity to look into what options you have towards doing that.

-
Back