AMC = Mopar?

Is an AMC product a Mopar

• yep

Votes: 70 33.8%
  • nope

Votes: 137 66.2%

• Total voters
-
Correct. Because what you do is irrelevant. If the factory does it, that's a completely different argument. What ever the factory does, it owns, at least until the warranty has expired.
I was trying to make the point that a few Mopar parts does not make a Mopar. And anybody who feels an AMC is a Mopar just because AMC used some Mopar stuff doesn't realize Mopar used GM tilt steering column parts..... Rochester carbs........ Saginaw steering pumps....

I stand firmly by my view that an AMC is not, was not, and never will be a Mopar, and has no place in Mopar shows, magazines, clubs, etc. Don't get me wrong, I like some AMC products. And a few other brands as well. But an AMC is no more a Mopar than a Mopar is a Benz.

So now that Fiat will be doing a deal to purchase the UAW shares of Chryco's corpse, will Mopars become Fiats? Or will there be Mopars at "Concourse de Italia" shows?

Ours cars will be "Also orphans," like AMC..like all the 'new' Chrys- I mean Fiat motors? How's that new Dart, I mean Alfa re-skin?
Yeah,yeah!

One more thing, if AMC's are Mopars, are Fiats Mopars or are our Mopars now Fiats?

.....and Dodge Brothers products made prior to 1928 are not really Mopars either.

There are several very active AMC/Rambler clubs and most of their members don't consider their cars Mopars.

but how many pre 1928 cars are there on the roads ?

I rather have a AMC car vs a Chevy

I was trying to make the point that a few Mopar parts does not make a Mopar. And anybody who feels an AMC is a Mopar just because AMC used some Mopar stuff doesn't realize Mopar used GM tilt steering column parts..... Rochester carbs........ Saginaw steering pumps....

I stand firmly by my view that an AMC is not, was not, and never will be a Mopar, and has no place in Mopar shows, magazines, clubs, etc. Don't get me wrong, I like some AMC products. And a few other brands as well. But an AMC is no more a Mopar than a Mopar is a Benz.

And once Benz bought and control Mopar, it was no longer Mopar, IMO

Mopar cars are dead, long gone, never ever to be made again

I rather have many AMC cars vs the post 1990 Mopar cars--even the viper. AMC was npt Mopar but were good cars and you CAN put a Mopar engine in one, like the 340.

AMC cars were made of strong, thick steel and designed well. Few compromises were made building them--unlike cars of today

I think AMC's should be at Mopar car shows, where else should they go ? There is not enough AMC cars left to have their own shows. AMC did use many Mopar parts and were built the same time as the great Mopar cars were. AMC was just ahead of its time going under-being brought out.

Its really awful what happen to cars in the last 25-30 years. They went from being cars to toys almost. They used to have big V8 engines like trucks have, cars used to be king of the roads cause they were lower and had less drag vs pick up trucks and on the freeways could easily run past the pick up trucks.

Now cars have wimpy v6 or 4 banger engines and suv's that weight 5,000 lbs can hang with many cars and since the suv is larger its the king of the road today.

But really pick ups-suv's belong in some cornfield and not on the high speed expressways. Why we have so many roll over accidents, those things belong under 60 mph, imo

But the world thinks different and time marches onward. I got no idea what the next 30 years will bring on, not making any guesses

Then, using your logic, Dodge shouldn't be considered MoPar, either. The only difference between the two is the the date that they were both purchased by Chrysler corp.

If you buy an object when you're 20 years old, and then another when your 60 years old, are both of them yours?
Or is there some arbitrary cut off date that limits your possessions to only those things you purchased prior to that date?

Then, using your logic, Dodge shouldn't be considered MoPar, either. The only difference between the two is the the date that they were both purchased by Chrysler corp.

If you buy an object when you're 20 years old, and then another when your 60 years old, are both of them yours?
Or is there some arbitrary cut off date that limits your possessions to only those things you purchased prior to that date?

Okay, using your logic, all the AMCs built AFTER the buyout are Mopars, till the Benz merger, after which they were Mercedes Cherokees. Untill the Fiat deal. Now they are Fiats. Well, I'm sure having a rough time getting a handle on all this. And AM General was part of AMC? So a Hummer is a Mopar, too? And all those mail trucks? Enlighten me.

Okay, using your logic, all the AMCs built AFTER the buyout are Mopars, till the Benz merger, after which they were Mercedes Cherokees. Untill the Fiat deal. Now they are Fiats. Well, I'm sure having a rough time getting a handle on all this. And AM General was part of AMC? So a Hummer is a Mopar, too? And all those mail trucks? Enlighten me.

You could say that. I didn't.

I made a simple comparison. Dodge is not a Walter P. Chrysler invention. Chrysler Corporation purchased Dodge back in the late 20's (1928 I believe). Chrysler Corp. also purchased AMC in the late 70's or early 80's. The only difference between the two is the date of purchase. Why is one considered a Mopar, and one not?

...and, btw, if you consider Dodge a MoPar because Chrysler purchased the company, why wouldn't you consider the new Chryslers Fiat's, since Fiat is making every effort to buy all, or the majority of Chrysler Stock?

Are Chevy's GM cars? Chevrolet was a purchase, not an original.

How about Lincolns. Are they Fords? Ford didn't invent and design the Lincoln, they just bought the company.

If you agree that Lincolns are Fords, that Chevies are GM's, and that Dodges are Mopars, why aren't AMC's Mopars, too?

Because we are talking about vehicles built decades before ownership changed hands. I'm sorry, but to me a 74 Hornet is not a product of a company that did not buy their parent company till 87. As for your comparison to Dodge, Chrysler kept the name. I don't recall seeing any 2002 AMC anythings.

As for the comments about AMCs not having other places to go, it doesn't seem to be an issue with other orphan cars. Duesenburg, Auburn, Cord, Packard, Studebaker, International Harvester, etc. Which brings another point to mind. Scouts used 727s and Thermoquads, are they Mopars? Oh, and Chrysler bought some shares of Lamborghini in 1987, are they Mopars? Then there was that whole TC by Maserati thing. I still refuse to consider every Maserati a Mopar.

Perhaps somebody should raise the whole AMC/Mopar question on the AMC board. Perhaps we should all join and post pictures of our Mopars.....

Because we are talking about vehicles built decades before ownership changed hands. I'm sorry, but to me a 74 Hornet is not a product of a company that did not buy their parent company till 87. As for your comparison to Dodge, Chrysler kept the name. I don't recall seeing any 2002 AMC anythings.

Did you forget about years of "Chrysler-Plymouth-Dodge-Jeep-Eagle"

And cars like the Eagle Vision (the Intrepid clone) and the talon, etc?
...and the fact that Chrysler kept the 4.0L straight 6 in the Jeep for years?

And cars like the Eagle Vision (the Intrepid clone) and the Talon, etc?

Oh, and let's not forget the the Eagle Premier, the Eagle Medallion, and the Eagle Summit, all sold in Chrysler dealerships that were re-badged "Chrysler-Plymouth-Jeep-Eagle"

And cars like the Eagle Vision (the Intrepid clone) and the talon, etc?
BUT--does it say AMC?????

Anybodys Motor Company

I say they are, but with the stipulation that it is only honorary.

Late to the party again.

I really had to think this one over as todays Mopar may include Fiat and Mercedes as well as AMC, but for the sake of the brand, I think it is best to consider them separate.

That said, I can appreciate that my AMC is welcome at Mopar shows.

Back when Chrysler acquired AMC, I used to get a Jeep owning friend all worked up by calling his Jeep CJ5 a "Chrysler Jeep Eagle". Just goes to show the AMC crowd are none too pleased to consider their brand Mopar.

Late to the party again.

I really had to think this one over as todays Mopar may include Fiat and Mercedes as well as AMC, but for the sake of the brand, I think it is best to consider them separate.

That said, I can appreciate that my AMC is welcome at Mopar shows.

Back when Chrysler acquired AMC, I used to get a Jeep owning friend all worked up by calling his Jeep CJ5 a "Chrysler Jeep Eagle". Just goes to show the AMC crowd are none too pleased to consider their brand Mopar.

These are some "hot" AMC's certainly worthy of being called muscle cars, not MOPARS but very nice just the same ![/

71ho.jpg

69javi.jpg

68amx.jpg

AMC - Absolutely Monotonous Contraption

-
Back