AMC = Mopar?

Is an AMC product a Mopar

• yep

Votes: 70 33.8%
  • nope

Votes: 137 66.2%

• Total voters
-
Personally AMC's don't bother me. They aren't really mopar but they have nowhere else to go so I have no problem adopting them and there family. They have some nice cars.

Not Mopar! They did use lots of Mopar parts though. Mopar trans bolted to frd engines with cheby electricals. Like they were digging through the seconds piles at the big 3. They did have some of there own stuff too.
Look at it this way though, Mopar is known for Hemi's and Torque Flites. That's where Ma mopar wrote her reputation. Chevie is known for ignition systems and electrical systems in general as well as EFI. Ford has good engines whether brand specifics will admit it or not. So the question remains, why not have the best of the big three planets. It's no different than when Chevy and Toyota teamed up and made Geo. In my opinion the Geo Prizm is probably the best little **** box 4 door, 4 banger I've ever drove. My sister had one at 250,000 miles and before she T-boned an illegal immigrant's unlicensed daughter that pulled out in from of her, that car ran like new. Oh yeah, the daughter ran as per her mom's instructions.

Point being, American Motor Company was the all-American-car-company. Not a bad idea for this generation to test in my opinion.

I love AMC's, and I like the fact that they are included in the MoPar family in car shows, and such. Chrysler purchased what was AMC some time back in the 70's (I think), or early 80's.

Another thing, if you don't consider acquisitions made by Chrysler to be MoPars, than how do you explain "Dodge"? Walter P. purchased the brand, once called "Dodge Brothers".

Here is a little history and a great read about the acquisition of Dodge by Walter P. from our good friends at Allpar... Enjoy.

http://www.allpar.com/history/dodge.html

A excerpt from the above link....

"...Into this fray stepped Walter Chrysler with the announcement of three new makes of vehicles. The first Plymouth (or "Chrysler Plymouth" as it was originally billed) was a continuation of the old Chrysler Four, which was itself a continuation of the final Maxwell. But Dillon, Reed was likely far more unnerved by the other two introductions; a new lightweight six-cylinder car, the DeSoto, which initially sold right below Dodge in price, and the Fargo line of trucks, aimed straight at the Dodge truck line. In his excellent biography of Walter P. Chrysler, Vincent Curcio states that DeSoto and Fargo were created for the primary purpose of intimidating Dillon, Reed into selling Dodge... which they did later in 1928 for $170 million, perhaps short of their asking price but still at a profit".

The Dodge brand was not a WP Chrysler brand, until he purchased it, just as his company did with AMC some 60 or so years later.

The AMC Straight-4 engine was used by a number of AMC, Jeep, and Dodge vehicles from 1984-2002

1984–2000 Cherokee
1986–1992 Comanche
1987–2002 Wrangler
1988–1989 Eagle Premier
1996–2002 Dodge Dakota

The 4.0 Six Cylinder is one of AMC's best-known engines. It was one of four AMC engines kept in production when Chrysler bought AMC.

1987–2001 Cherokee
1993–2004 Grand Cherokee
1987–1990 Wagoneer
1987–1992 Commanche
1991–2006 Wrangler

Chrysler kept the AMC V8 in production until 1991 for the Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

Sure sounds like AMC = Mopar to me...

...Mopar trans bolted to frd engines with cheby electricals....

What Ford engine did AMC use????

I would trade my Duster in a second for a Javelin or AMX...and love the old AMC CJ Jeeps, the Chyrsler Jeeps i had were junk.

I love all cars...even the foreign ones like my MINI Cooper S.

Paul

Nope.
Never have been, and never will be.
They're cool cars and all, but they aren't mopars.

Well, they are not Mopars in the true-blood sense of the word. However, before all the hoopla of the last decade and a half, when all of a sudden Mopars become the "it" car to have, we were just the cars that the millions of GM/Ford guys poo-pooed at. We were considered odd, low-life grease monkeys, and mocked for our undying allegiance to the marque.

The AMC guys had it even worse. I guess with the acquisition of them by us, many of us just felt pity towards them, and gave them somewhere to hang. :)

Still like AMXes.

Grant

I remember when Ramblers were ridiculed as a "cheap" car. They are finally getting some respect.

Although they use a bit of Mopar pieces, they were their own company- related, shirt-tail cousins? If you like...

while the big three all contributed to AMC, it just so happens that chrysler was the one to buy them out. if chebby or ferd had bought them out ,would they be considered a chebby or ferd? highly doubtful. personally , i love AMC muscle cars. they may have had pieces and parts from the other companies, but their designs and appearance packages were all their own and very unique. i have owned a number of jeep cherokees and i have loved every one of them. i think the main reason for chrysler to buy out amc was to obtain the jeep nameplate. clearly with the jeep carrying the pentastar on their vehicles, they are a mopar NOW. but obviously, up to that point ,they were still just an AMC.below is a pic of one of my jeeps and a couple random AMCs that are not mine.hell, my 1977 dodge charger SE isnt even accepted or respected as a dodge charger by most.

Attachments

• 03.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 214
  • pq48.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 201
  • pq35.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 237
  • amc-sc-rambler_69_tom-drew_2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 231
...hell, my 1977 dodge charger SE isnt even accepted or respected as a dodge charger by most.

Correct. Many people who call themselves Mopar fans do not respect the 1971 and later "B" bodies as they do the 1970 and earlier B's. Likewise the F, J, and M bodies.

V-100 said:
... they were their own company- related, shirt-tail cousins? If you like...

Once again, so was Dodge. See here... http://www.allpar.com/history/dodge.html

So what's the difference between Dodge being purchased by Chrysler, and AMC being purchased by Chrysler, besides the date? :scratch: :dontknow:

Don't anybody get me wrong, I love AMC products. My first car was a 59 Rambler station wagon. After I rear ended a VW bug, i removed the broken grille bars and rearranged the letters on the hood to spell "BLAM", which became the car's name. My great uncle was a Rambler dealer and when I was a kid I spent a ton of time at the dealership. Someday I hope hope to put together a Rambler wagon with a supercharged Jeep 4.0.
Whenever I attend an all makes car show, which is quite alot, I always check out the AMC's, but they're still not Mopars.

I guess I'll be the odd man out and consider them Mopars, especially the post-acquisition, common-design vehicles. The pre-acquisition ones are Mopars through inheritance at this point.

I'm guessing people are hung up on the common platform thing. Dodge---an acquired brand---shared platforms with other Chrysler-created brands, so therefore it's "more Mopar."

I don't care if AMC stuff is at Mopar car shows.

I wonder if the GM groups have these sort of discussions about the AM General-built HMMVs, which, ironically enough, come from a company that was forked from AMC and sold by Chrysler to GM.

One more thing, if AMC's are Mopars, are Fiats Mopars or are our Mopars now Fiats?

.....and Dodge Brothers products made prior to 1928 are not really Mopars either.

There are several very active AMC/Rambler clubs and most of their members don't consider their cars Mopars.

Not a chance. BUT, if I weren't a mopar guy I would be all over a 69 Rambler American Hardtop. Very clean classic lines. Almost looks like the smaller offspring of a 66 belvedere

Ya gotta love this one :burnout:

Attachments

• hrdp_1010_01_o+steve_bashfords_1978_AMC_pacer_wagon+blasting_off.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 221
:d

Attachments

• may 28 (2).jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 184
  • may 28 (3).jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 308
  • may 28 (1) (Medium) (Large) (Medium).jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 180
One more thing, if AMC's are Mopars, are Fiats Mopars or are our Mopars now Fiats?

Ultimately the brand is the product of the parent company. In that light, AMC's are Mopars and indeed, as of the acquisition, Chryslers, today are Fiats.

Yes, i know that sucks, but that's the reality of the situation with MoPar, right now.

.....and Dodge Brothers products made prior to 1928 are not really Mopars either.
Yet they are readily accepted as MoPars while AMC's are not. The only true difference being the date of acquisition.

There are several very active AMC/Rambler clubs and most of their members don't consider their cars Mopars.
...and probably as many do. I have a couple of acquaintances who are "Rrambler" guys, and they seems to enjoy being part of the Mopar family group. :dontknow: Go figure.

Ever notice?

If you take a Pacer, and squash it a little, you end up with a Porsche 928.

Lmao....

attachment.php

800px-Porsche_928_GTS_hl_blue.jpg

a couple more pics of our foster children....

Attachments

• az23.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 188
  • do14.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 187
  • pq31.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 172
  • pq38.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 185
-------Ever notice?

If you take a Pacer, and squash it a little, you end up with a Porsche 928.

--------------------the resemblance is striking...

Kind of like allowing Mercedes to enter MOPAR shows! I do like some the later models AMC's and enjoy seeing them at shows.... but, agree they are not MOPARS.

Wonder if Jag is now allowed to enter Tata car shows?

Cut the roof off a Pacer, flip it upside down, and it makes a great pool for the little kids. You can even watch them from the comfort of your chaise lounge :)

Only thing I know is when I mention I want a Gremlin to my wife she tells me i will be living in a tent across the street....

-
Back