• yep

Votes: 70 33.8%
  • nope

Votes: 137 66.2%

• Total voters
-

Wheel Chock

Reaction score
I don't know if this topic has been addressed on here before, but am I the only one who gets annoyed when people try to pass AMC products off as Mopars? AMC made some really cool cars, but they are not now and never have been Mopars. The last real AMC passenger car was discontinued long before Chryco acquired AMC from Renault. Aside from Jeeps, the only vehicles sold by AMC at that time were Renaults. Does anyone really think that the Alliance or Medallion is a Mopar? I am a Jeep guy, but it wasn't until 1991 that Chrysler made significant enough changes to those products to really make them Mopars. I may be in the minority, but whenever I see an AMC section at a Mopar show or an AMC article in a Mopar magazine, I just pass right by. IMHO a Javelin is no more a Mopar than a Mustang is. Is it just me?
If I knew how to start a poll, I would.

Same for me. AMC is not Mopar. But they have no where to go and are kind of attached to us even if only buy a take over. I don't mind seeing them at shows.

I had to say nop.But they did use allot of mopar parts (trans wiper motors heaters rear ends)and lord knows what else.and I would like to have a 69 javelin or amx:eek:ops:...........Artie

They are not mopars agreed, but they are ophans just like desotos ect. i personally love the late 60s AMXs,Rebel the machine,rambler scramblers and yes gremlins. Some of the early ramblers have been made into some beautiful street rods. So you would rather go to a show with new mustangs,challengers,vettes and camaros not cool cars like these.

Attachments

• 68amc49317-1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 1,285
  • wally-booth.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,187
  • show_image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,195
  • javelin.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 1,253
  • AMC.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,260
  • 800px-1969_AMC_SC-Rambler_front_Shore-of_Lake_Michigan_in_Kenosha_WI.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,230
  • 60amc49303-1.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,207
so this 27' Dodge truck isn't welcome either

544_1927-dodge-20bros.jpg

bummer

edit: DeSoto's are Chrysler's

"The DeSoto make was founded by Walter Chrysler on August 4, 1928, and introduced for the 1929 model year."

"The DeSoto (sometimes De Soto) was a brand of automobile based in the United States, manufactured and marketed by the Chrysler Corporation from 1928 to 1961. The DeSoto logo featured a stylized image of Hernando de Soto. The De Soto marque was officially dropped 30 November 1960, with a bit over two million vehicles built since 1928."

wikipedia

I'm with GOLDFISH65, they are not Mopars. More like the bastard stepchild. No blood relation. I have a soft spot for them though.:eek:ops:
My wife wants me to build her one I have been sitting on for around 10 years. Wont let me sell it for go fast parts for the dart. Damn!

It will however be Mopar powered!! 318 with 8 3/4 A body housing and ladder bars. She wants it a 4 speed so she can bake the tires. I have a 49 chebby 1/2 ton straight axle for the front, but don't think she wants the nose high look.
Hot rodding is a family affair for us. If thats what the wife want, thats what the wife gets. Only my way. Yeah, right! lol
AMC is Rambler & Nash, and some other thing we won't mention
BUT NOT A MOPAR!

Attachments

• rambler3.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,183
I'm with GOLDFISH65, they are not Mopars. More like the bastard stepchild. No blood relation. I have a soft spot for them though.:eek:ops:
My wife wants me to build her one I have been sitting on for around 10 years. Wont let me sell it for go fast parts for the dart. Damn!

It will however be Mopar powered!! 318 with 8 3/4 A body housing and ladder bars. She wants it a 4 speed so she can bake the tires. I have a 49 chebby 1/2 ton straight axle for the front, but don't think she wants the nose high look.
Hot rodding is a family affair for us. If thats what the wife want, thats what the wife gets. Only my way. Yeah, right! lol
AMC is Rambler & Nash, and some other thing we won't mention
BUT NOT A MOPAR!

1964 Rambler Classic 4 Dr, my very first car !! Called it my Rumbler,'cause Lord knows I put it through Hell,and it kept on keepin on,with my Cherry Bomb muffler too !!!! I'm with your wife,restore it,Dare to be Different !!! :blob::blob::blob::blob:

AMC had some really cool cars.Still not a Mopar,though.(Like cool race AMCs? google NAMDRA,very cool stuff).

I do believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that Chrysler had bought out AMC/Jeep,and that is how people think they're Mopars !!

I agree, AMC is not a Mopar but I do like some of the cars they made. When I was a young kid (7 or 8) my mom one a AMC for a month so we choose a Javelin, car was fast.

Just to let you know,AMC's engineer's were kept and contributed the magnum head design among other things's. I cant ever see calling a friggin Renault a mopar though.

1964 Rambler Classic 4 Dr, my very first car !! Called it my Rumbler,'cause Lord knows I put it through Hell,and it kept on keepin on,with my Cherry Bomb muffler too !!!! I'm with your wife,restore it,Dare to be Different !!! :blob::blob::blob::blob:
Rambler was very proud of there reclining front seats in the day, so I assumed thats what your "Rumbler" refered to! :cheers: lol.
287 still turns. Not a lot of parts available. Cost more than restoring a Mopar for sure. Front trunion, funky suspension and torque tube rear, sure you remember. Need to finish spring relo, minis & narrow on the dart first so I can get it off the rack. Then we will talk Rambler.

Not Mopar! They did use lots of Mopar parts though. Mopar trans bolted to frd engines with cheby electricals. Like they were digging through the seconds piles at the big 3. They did have some of there own stuff too.

They were the orphan crowd that kinda just fell in with the Mopar clan. Since we're not like the "lookatmeandmychevy" clan we just let follow behind.
I know this, I have a bunch of AMC microfiche that came in a parts tote after the sale.

I wouldn't consider my girlfriends Nash a mopar, but it's definitely part of the family.

Attachments

• nashdriveway.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,129
No, they are not true Mopars, but when Chrysler bought them out, they kinda were taken under wing. They did have some interesting cars like the Rambler, Rebel, Javelin, and AMX...

When I was in school it wasn't cool to own a Mopar and I took lots of gruff for being a Mopar fan. There were a few of us and we stuck together against the Ford and GM guys. Kinda like AMC. They too were shunned like the Mopars, so in that way they fit together.

They were welcome at every Mopar show I have been to. What 360 is in your jeep? What 1968 motor had more advertised HP: AMC 343 or Mopar 340? They are no Mopar, but nice enough to look at.

I’m not a brand specific person, it’s either hot or not!
My first V8 was this Rebel, loved it, sounded tough and revved hard. But they aren’t a Mopar in my book, second cousin maybe! Just a cool car in their own right.

View attachment 4.jpg

you guy's realize Chrysler could just as easily have been bought by :pukeleft: GM instead of Cerberus or Daimler and the F-body forums would be having the same discussion about Mopars at a chevdog show... if you really love cool cars, why would you walk right by the AMC stuff just because it's at a Mopar show?

-
Back