AMD not making 72 quarters anymore.

-

swifty

Reaction score
I have had a right side quarter 700-2072 (Swinger or scamp) on backorder since January. I called summit to get a exact shipping date. After about 10 minutes I was told the manufacturer is not making that part anymore. I then called AMD and asked the same question. They were surprised to tell me it is no longer on the manufacture list. After some more calls I ordered 2 70-71 quarters from Summit. They will return the left side 72 quarter I already have. They told me I should have them by Saturday. Good thing I am not trying to build a numbers car (I like the 71 markers better). Lesson is don't start assembly till you have all your parts!

It wouldn't be that hard to convert a 71 quarter panel into a 72.just cut the old side markers off 72 then cut the 71 ones off and weld the 72 side marker ones in place.i converted a 73 panel into a 71.you cant even tell at all.

It wouldn't be that hard to convert a 71 quarter panel into a 72.just cut the old side markers off 72 then cut the 71 ones off and weld the 72 side marker ones in place.i converted a 73 panel into a 71.you cant even tell at all.

When I restored my '75 Scamp 10 years they were only making the '70/'71 quarter panels so the body shop cut out those and welded in the '72+ style from my old quarter panels. Can't even tell the quarter panels were born as '70/'71 panels now!

When I restored my '75 Scamp 10 years they were only making the '70/'71 quarter panels so the body shop cut out those and welded in the '72+ style from my old quarter panels. Can't even tell the quarter panels were born as '70/'71 panels now!
Exactly a good body shop could do it well and won't even tell afterwards is right.

I don't see the demand for these parts justifying amd stocking them forever. How many darts are people restoring?

there's quite a few restoring darts from 67-73.

I agree, but is it enough to justify the expense of making the parts? I dunno. Amd seems to think so, but I wouldn't have seen it that way.

They had issues and basically modified their 70-71 stamping, I used 70-71s and added my markers in. The holes are maybe an inch to an inch and a half off.

thats why when something like quarters are made ya better buy it right away or ya may never get another chance at it..

AMD made sheetmetal for the type of cars that we the customers asked for, Guess I should be ashamed I have 62 valiant,a 72 Dart Swinger,and a 74 Dart Sport.

AMD made sheetmetal for the type of cars that we the customers asked for, Guess I should be ashamed I have 62 valiant,a 72 Dart Swinger,and a 74 Dart Sport.
look for a repoped part specifically for a 60-2 Valinat, 61-2 Lancer......will never happen!!!! but I love my Toad!! just try fining one for a parts car!!! ha

-
Back