American Muscle Car

-
Yes I saw that one a while ago.The hemi sounded like it was going to suck the paint off the walls!

This is a repeat and was on about a year ago. I saw that it was going to be on again and knew it would show up here.

Those numbers are a complete joke, period.

Chuck

Yeah I seen the show too and was amazed. The 409 seemed about right along with the 421 Pontiac. But the 427 and of course the HEMI really seemed a bit out there. I was around in the day of the street HEMI and a friend of mine had a hemi Road Runner and yeah it was fast but 820 hp...nah!!

Did anyone else see the recent episode of American Muscle Car about the "Fastest muscle car engines"? These were supposedly "blueprinted" STOCK engines that produced these horsepower and torque numbers:

Chevy 409 - 406 / 430

Pontiac Super Duty 421 - 488 / 470

Chevy 427 L-88 - 527 / 461

Ford 427 Side-oiler (2 4bbls) - 637 / 554

MOPAR 426 HEMI - 820 / 689

EIGHT HUNDRED AND TWENTY HORSEPOWER?????? From a Street HEMI with 10.25-to-1 compression, two 750 Holleys, and stock iron heads? The number for the 427 side-oiler seems pretty radical too. I know these engines were tuned by some of the best in the business but damn.

If you listened real close to what they were saying, they admitted that the Hemi was not stock, but did have factory parts and that can mean anything.

Jack

820 hp would push a 4000 lb B body deep into the 11s at like 130 + mph even with the skinny crappy tires from back then.. That dyno had to be way off to nearly double the rated hp of the motor. Only way to really get an accurate number would be to find a stock bare hemi block, stock crank, stock rods.. rebuild it using pistons of equal weight to stock with the exception of maybe a .030 overbore factored in. Then grind a new cam with the exact same LSA, lift duration and ramp up angles. Stock heads,valves.. valve springs with exactly the same pressure rating as the originals. No special valve jobs.. no heads with any porting or polishing. Stock intake, reproduction or original exaust manifolds, rebuilt carburetors with no special tuning. Then run it for a few thousand miles to break it in and run it on maybe 3 or 4 different dynos to get an objective idea of what it can produce.

I just saw this on Speed tonight so I had to dig this thread up. These motors were not "factory" stock. They stated they used "blueprinted" cams. This goes back to Dusterboy15's post on that one guy who runs that stock eliminator Duster.

Still a cool episode. It clearly demonstrates Mopar dominance.

I had a magazine a few years ago and a guy rebuilt a hemi for his 68 charger to stock specs and it turnes 509 hp

-
Back