American or Australian?

-

Martythetrimmer

Reaction score
the debait as to a 1962 Valiant being Australian or American has been brought up again.....to mine, and many others knowledge they were fully designed and all components made in the US and sent to Australia as a knockdown package to be assembled here under US direction, making them an Australian assembled American car.....

the organsers of many American car events don't concider the 62 Valiant as American unless it's badged Plymouth!!!!...but any Chev or Ford that was built here from a knockdown kit is taken as American!! :wack:

does anybody have any knowledge of the history behind the Australian version of the 62, or even better any documentation to prove the level of US content!!

Back in the day Chrysler sold lots of CKD units (Completly Knock Down Unit) all over the world. They sold them to, South America, South Africa, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Spain, Sweden and lots of other countries. So sure, why wouldn't they sell that car as a CKD to Australia!!

:glasses7:

There appears to be a lot of conjecture as to what a CKD really means…..it appears that people are taking it that it’s just some basic parts and the rest was Australian there by taking away the Valiant’s American heritage…..others believe the CDK was the entire car and that no, or very little was Australian content, making them an American car….as mentioned GM did the same, so why are CDK GM vehicles considered American when our Chryslers can’t be?
So basically we are looking for proof of what was in the CKD, most parts or an entire car!

Marty,

GM was doing this under the Vauxhall name. And they (the cars) were considered Australian unique if I remember correctly.

We also had Canadian unique with Vauxhall and I believe with Chrysler, there are both Canadian and Mexican unique as well..

That should muddy the waters..

ian.

Oh Dan, where are you?? this is in your wheel house , Lawrence

Dan's on the job, he and I have been sending PM's about this....it's been a while Doc, how's it all going? A few guy's here are having problems at shows with thier 62 Valiants being classed as Australian not American! Basicly the only Australian input was the labour...bet half of that was done by imports as well!

-
Back