Ammeter waving when ignition is on.

-
Mr fish i don't think there is anything wrong.... just drive and it will go away
if you have a battery that is huge capcity in comparison to orginal specification sitting on the edge of charged and not charged enough this wiggling ammeter thing hangs about for longer....

it looks crap but will go away drive drive drive or charge it with a charger and try again.

if you daily drive you will never see this
if you drive it 6 times a year to the show or track you will see it when the battery has been sitting a while. it goes away.

switch on headlamps and fan... alternator is ON then no matter how charged the battery is, and the wiggle stops. well it does on mine that gets driven infrequently and suffers a wobble on the ammeter about once a year.

it does it for the first 10 miles it doesn't do it after the following 90 to the track and it doesn't do it on the way back... but it will do it again next spring.....

Last edited:
Well, I've found where the problem was. It was the wiper switch. I figured the ticking had to be something just behind the dash and with it happening with the engine not running it had to be either the flashers, wipers, or radio as others already pointed out. I just unplugged everything until it stopped and it stopped at the wiper switch. I am still unsure if it's the switch it's self or a short elsewhere in the circuit. I'm going to leave that for another time in the near future. Thanks for the help guys, I learned a lot.

engine not running and key in accessory
Fixed
I just unplugged everything until it stopped and it stopped at the wiper switch. I am still unsure if it's the switch it's self or a short elsewhere in the circuit.
Well you're somewhat in luck. The electrical diagram in the '68 FSM is more complete than the '67. There still might be several wiper switch versions for 2 sp, 3 spd etc.

I only know '67 well. In '67 the wiper switch is also used as a junction for powering the reverse lights.

So it could be the switch, the wiper motor - maybe its shutoff after one more sweep function, or the reverse lights.
Before going further will need to know which wiper setup the car has, and which backup light switch setup it has.
upload_2022-9-9_20-43-48-png.png

-
Back