ammeter with aftermarket harness?

-

R3dplanet

Reaction score
Well, I'm getting done with my Ron Francis wiring conversion. I've also taken the time to make other common sense improvements like adding relays for safety for bits like the cigarette lighter, wipers, and headlights.

The kit I'm using completely ignores the ammeter in the dash, and I have a voltmeter in a gauge pod already. But it would be nice to have a functional ammeter just so I don't have to look at a dead gauge in the instrument cluster.

Can someone explain a clean way to do this?

Cheers.

I WOULD NOT install a "full current" ammeter in a modern car or only if the bulkhead connector has been dealt away with. You might have to do some wiring changes to the harness

Here is the "general idea" with ANY ammeter. You need to separate ALL loads except the starter, and provide a "common point." The battery ONLY (no loads) connects to one side of the ammeter, and the other side of the ammeter you connect the alternator output, and all the loads . If you "screw up" and the ammeter reads bass-ackwards, you just reverse the ammeter connections

This simplified diagram is as good as any. It is the "stock" factory wiring, but it illustrates the point

From here:

Catalog

amp-ga18.jpg

Okay. I don't absolutely HAVE to have an ammeter, and since I already have a very nice matching set of gauges with voltmeter I really don't need to replace the ammeter with the common Sunpro voltmeter hack.

I'll look around and see if I can retrofit some other Chrysler gauge in place of the ammeter. Maybe a vacuum gauge or something.

Thank you!

We left our factory ammeter gauge in the dash unhooked. Voltmeter mounted in with triple gauges mounted under dash.
67 cuda.

doesn't the needle just sit in the middle, like everything is good, when they're unhooked?

-
Back