Amp Gauge "Sorta" Bypass Question

-
It's been a while since i looked into this but isn't an A body Ammeter hard wired.
Was the burning dash problem more on B and E bodies where the ammeter was circuit board oriented?

It's been a while since i looked into this but isn't an A body Ammeter hard wired.
Was the burning dash problem more on B and E bodies where the ammeter was circuit board oriented?
No they all suffered to some extent. My 70 was owned by the original owner and me, and both of us were amateur radio operators, and both of us had "gear" in the car at some point. My 70 showed up damaged the ammeter and bulkhead maybe 3 years after it was new. The ammeter was mounted through the Ralleye cluster which was plastic, and when things heated up, those studs get loose, the plastic softens, and the problem gets worse. I don't remember anymore, but I think I used jam nuts to help the problem. Some have advocated cleaning the studs and ammeter "shunt" and soldering them together

The type of material and construction of various models cluster housings therefore affects this problem.

For the bulkhead, obviously decades "before Al Gore discovered the internet" I just drilled out the terminals and ran heavier gauge wire through the connector

Up in this country I've seen lots of pickup trucks with damaged ammeters. Part of this is due to snow plows and winches, along with off road lights been added

-
Back