An Eagle Cap Camper Snapped A Ram 3500 Dually In Half, Mopar Refuses $17,000 Repair Bill

-
2819C48C-CF6C-4214-9126-ACEF1B698B0D.gif

I
A 1/2 ton truck is just that it can carry a 1/2 ton…1,000lbs.
It was worse than that back in the day. Some of the light duty trucks in the '60's were no better than cars. By the time you got two-three 200 pound men in the cab, and threw a bit of camping gear in the bed, they were often to gross weight. The drive trains were often no better than pass cars/ station wagons.

Some of the early 60's Chevs had TORSION BARS, and Ford and ?? GM?? don't remember made light duty UNIBODY pickups

When I was stationed at NAS Miramar, we had a delivery guy from a local downtown machine shop/ parts store drove one. They had damaged it carrying engine blocks, etc, and it had huge but metal plates bolted from the "cab" area to the front of the "bed" area scabbed across to try and control cracking. And San Diego is not a rust belt area, either.

I'm really curious who engineers this stuff? I mean between the pickup camper and this deal, its no wonder you can't read an owners manual without pages of warnings and cautions from the lawyers. There is another picture of this guy with 2 atv's on this truck but the boat and motor looked too funny so I chose it.
1672536415022.png

Back in the 70s my dad had a 71 Ford F250 reg cab camper special. The whole reason he had that truck was to haul the "Saturn" brand truck bed camper we had back then.
That thing had what amounted to a hitch with receivers on both sides, and a platform with tires/wheels on both sides that slid under the overhang portion, behind the trucks bumper, and carried the extra weight of the overhang.

That brings up a related question
In the 90s I had a 78 D200 that was called a "Camper 9000", it's gvw was the "9000".
What ever happened to " camper special " packages, what was different about them vs a same model truck that wasn't a "camper special ", and why don't we see them any more?

I'm really curious who engineers this stuff? I mean between the pickup camper and this deal, its no wonder you can't read an owners manual without pages of warnings and cautions from the lawyers. There is another picture of this guy with 2 atv's on this truck but the boat and motor looked too funny so I chose it.
View attachment 1716029154
Just cause you can, doesn't mean you should. lol

Probably something like this. Grocery-getter, in the walmart parking lot. The gal driving it was about 5' nothing" tall, and had to reach above her head to get to the door handle.

View attachment 1716029100

View attachment 1716029101
There's a guy in Gray that has the International version of that truck. They are cool and all but just slap BIG. I guess that's the point. lol

Last edited:
When I worked for a Ford dealer in the 90s, we would often see E350 motorhomes come in with brake problems. My first stop was always the scale next door at the Frito Lays plant. If they weigh more than 11,000 pounds, I would turn them back to the customer with the explanation that they were overweight and there was nothing we could do, I have seen them weigh as much as 15,000 pounds.

That's a huge camper way too much rear weight. That said thow Fiat is way over agressive on the warranty denial I'm dealing with a 3rd gear syncro on the wives 22 Challenger scat pack warranty denied tires were to worn they said. Oh well lay low for a while and put the junk factory tires back on in the spring and take it to another dealer. Or I will end up putting upgraded syncros in it myself

Then you had better be sure of overall height and watch out for low bribridges
Well, the rockers were at least three feet off the ground, so, 8'+ as it sits. Add that camper, well over twelve feet. You will soon learn where you can go, and where you cant. That 11'8" bridge back east would definitely decapitate it.

Just cause you can, doesn't mean you should. lol

1672595113940.png

1672595191691.png

16725954692654913795907675062889.jpg

View attachment 1716029379

View attachment 1716029382

View attachment 1716029383
Yeah well. LOL

I Had an 88 f350 7.3 that i would 4 ton on the flat bed then hook up my tri axel trailor and put another 5 ton on that done that for years and never bent nothing .

Sorry, but just looking at that camper, I would NEVER try putting something that big and heavy on the back of my truck. I think he should be on his own for that damage.

-
Back