An easy way to install your twin scoops. NO TEMPLATE

-

Oldmanmopar

Going left turning right
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
You do not need a template.Here is the easy way to do it with normal tools.

Deep well socket, 3/8" or 1/2" drive and a transfer punch 3/8" or 1/2" Dia. depending on what drive socket you use.

Take a deep well socket set and find one that fits the scoop holes in the under side of the hood. All 70 and 71 Dart hoods have these holes. 72 hoods have both sets twin and snorkel scoops.

Find a transfer punch or make your own to fit the square hole in the socket. usually 3/8" or 1/2" . Put the socket in the four holes per side upside down and transfer punch a dimple from the bottom up. These four holes are important to be centered for access to nuts .

After you have these done drill them with a 1/4" drill bit. Then turn the hood over or close it and set the scoop in place. You now can locate the other four holes with slight pressure on the scoop putting marks in hood. Drill all holes to 3/8" using a step drill and you are done. This is the best method to use and how I have done it for years. lining the holes up to the inner holes is important and you cannot screw up this way. I also use this method to install factory hood pin sets.

All hoods that were available with factory scoops or pins have the inner holes in place. It is better to locate the holes using your inner holes than to use a template.

Remember to use the proper bell nuts or the scoop will not pull down on the hood.

When doing the scoops on a duster hood they didn't have scoops in 69 or 70 so they do not have the inner holes . To place a snorkel on a hood that does not have the holes on a duster or dart the center hole in the rear is 4" from the rear edge. I just did a Duster yesterday. It is a little tricky for the side inner holes they are on the angled part of the inner. 4" from the rear puts the center nut in the front behind the V on the inner.

Why pay for a template that may screw you up in the end use the holes that are there.

This post may be taken down again as it was before? but I have it copied for the future.

I found this for the 4" hole can be used with a bolt.

Hole Puncher Die 100 mm, 4" - EZ-Tools USA Professional Tools

Last edited:
I did it the same way on my '70 dart. I pushed a piece of the cardboard box over the studs to make a template of sorts. I then drilled out the rear holes in the hood like you described. Used those holes to locate the template. Easy to do. Used a 4" hole saw to cut the air inlet holes. Took about an hour total with the hood on the car!

1994redram (And all others) I'm interested in how you were able to use the hole saw for the air inlet without distorting the hood, or if anybody else has another method. I keep thinking that someone must make a device the would shear the hole out like they must have done at the factory without any heat produced.

Bought a new hole saw and used it in reverse! Keeps the teeth from digging in and breaking your wrists or messing up the metal.

1994redram (And all others) I'm interested in how you were able to use the hole saw for the air inlet without distorting the hood, or if anybody else has another method. I keep thinking that someone must make a device the would shear the hole out like they must have done at the factory without any heat produced.

Just go slow. You don’t need to ram the hole saw through in a few seconds, get it centered up and then just cut at a low rpm. You can even use some cutting fluid if you want. Worked fine when I did mine, very little heat and no distortion. Just take your time.

The template I used worked great too. Sure, you don’t need one, but as long as you check the template against the 4 holes in the hood bracing you won’t put the holes in the wrong spot and the template speeds up the whole process.

Bought a new hole saw and used it in reverse! Keeps the teeth from digging in and breaking your wrists or messing up the metal.
Great, simple solution! thanks for taking the time to respond.

Another trick on Dusters (at least 73 and up) and 72 and up Demon scoops is that two (maybe three- it's been a while) of the studs are in the center of the support braces. Start with those, and the rest are easy.

All this thread needs now is a source for the hole grommets and scoop nuts, and a stickification.

I saw one of these in action about a week ago. Very cool! Not sure about sizes available or distortion on a shaped panel though.

-
Back