An engine question...

-

67 Power Wagon

Hemi Pawr or BUST!
Reaction score
Guys, what better place to ask such a question then here!?

So here goes nothin'.....

We as Mopar guys know and hear all the time of the Slant 6 engines and they are classes "G" and "RG".

The small blocks are known as "A" for the old ones, or "LA" for the newer ones. "A"'s being Poly-Head types.

Then ya have the Big Blocks, "B" and "RB" types....

The big Hemi "426" as the Elephant as we know it I THINK was classed as the RB type....Because of the design of the block....Now having said the above, the OLD Hemi's.....

The 241, to the 392, what were they "classed"?????? I've NEVER read anywhere, if they even had a designated letter type as said above!

Any help to know and add to my knowledge on this one would be greatly appreciated in helping locals that I converse with that ask me such questions and really at the time, don't know and I feel I should, and I tell that too!

Thanks guys!

I don't believe I have ever heard the old Hemi's called anything but a Hemi. Chrysler,Dodge, and Desoto all had their own design and parts wouldn't interchange between the brands. Now they are referred to as Generation 1,2 and 3 Hemi's.

John,the series of engine from 1951 to the stop of the old style hemi,s in 1958 where known as the firepower series of motors.Chrysler dodge desoto had them with a few name changes and cube sizes,but where all basically the same.mrmopartech

Well see, I was wondering if ANY had a designation number or letter.....

I know the following on them,

Dodge was the Red Ram.
Chrysler was the Fire Power.
Desoto was the Fire Dome.
Imperial was the Fire Power (just like Chrysler)
Plymouth DID NOT have a Hemi type head engine back then, they were strictly Poly-Head powered engines for them!

I know that none of their parts were interchangeable back then.....BUT I had to ask if there was some sort of destination on these engines.....

Thanks guys.......

the 426 wedge is an "RB" block ....the 426 HEMI is not classified as an "RB", but in fact HEMI is its own classification as well as the older 50's HEMI engines

Dodge was the Red Ram and Super Red Ram.
Chrysler Firepower.
Imperial was Imperial. Said so right on the valve covers. Although they were the Firepower.
Desoto was Firedome.
Dodge medium duty trucks used the Firepower but called them Power Giant. They also used The Dodge Hemis and called them Super Red Ram.
Industrial and agriculture engines were Firepower but had "Industrial" in cursive script on the valve covers.

There may well have been others, but that's all I know about.

Here. Let Bob Walker educate us.

http://www.hothemiheads.com/hemi_info/hemi_engine_id.html

Notice though he leaves out the industrial engines. They had their very own Name as evidenced by their own valve covers. They pop up on fleabay all the time. Also notice the truck engines are left out.

the 426 wedge is an "RB" block ....the 426 HEMI is not classified as an "RB", but in fact HEMI is its own classification as well as the older 50's HEMI engines

Rani,
I hate to argue with you, BUT that 426 Wedge is an RB block. BUT, the 426 HEMI was based off that same block!! The heads were meant to be a bolt on accessory to the 426 Wedge, for racing only in '64....Wasn't till '66 that the "Hemi" became general sales...BUT by this time the block for the Hemi heads were modified as in the beginning the 426 Wedge block was cracking cylinders and they had modified that blocks casting to be "thicker in those areas to remedy the issue, THIS didn't change the fact that the Hemi is a RB block meaning "Raise Block"......Which allows itto have a longer stroke.....

Rob,
Thanks for that! Some of them, I didn't know.....

-
Back