an old thread i would like to share

-
Very cool read! The thread started way before my time here. Hey how can you check for one of the very 1st fabo thread??

I'll comment here.
This is an example of what people can and will do in trying times. It is during the hard times that people show their true colors, either by sharing what little they may have or by having the humility to ask for help. Both can be very hard things to do, but the latter being harder because of this thing we have called pride. A person works their way through life trying to attain the things they feel are required to be a stable, beneficial member of society. Sometimes situations change and even the most "well off" people will end up in need of help. It is at this time that they need to know that others are there and willing to assist them. Asking for help after being self sufficient is one of the hardest things a person will ever have to do. But with caring, sharing people and family, not limited to, but like here on FABO, I think reality can over rule pride and those who need help will either be offered it, as the recent threads have shown, or they may feel comfortable enough to ask for help.
Good on ya Daredevil, and all who helped out, this was an excellent example of selflessness.

I'd heard something about this but til now wasn't aware of the circumstances. It must have been heart-wrenching to witness all those people in need.

I applaud you DareDevil for your courage and help at a time when help was truly needed..

and on another note, remember who was in charge at that time, lets not give them another opportunity to screw us, two catastrophes during one administration without a clue and without a path to righteousness except for self-righteousness..

Pete, I am proud to call you a brother from another mother :glasses7:
I remember those bad times you did all that good work, I just wish I could have been there to help distribute also, that would have made it even better and got me out and about :glasses7:
We are strong in numbers and all we needed was a member like you near by brother :cheers: bless you for being you :cheers:

Wow I forgot all about that few days :violent1:

I have seen first hand what can be accomplished by a group of good and caring people. People who are dedicated and motivated strictly by their desire to help others in need. It is obvious that many of our FABO members are among these genuinely good people. Whats more, they have taken positive action that makes a very real difference in the lives of those in need. Outstanding work. It seems that frustration can also be an excellent motivator, too. I absolutely agree that FEMA has been a complete failure especially with regard to Hurricane Katrina. FEMA was (and is) a top heavy, cumbersome bureaucracy that is incapable of "emergency" response.
I would, however, like to point out that there is an organization who is the first to respond to any disaster anywhere and who is the last to leave. Its members are all volunteers who live and work in the disaster zone side by side with the victims of the hurricanes, tornados or floods for weeks or longer and under the same conditions. No one is ever turned down or denied anything no matter who, what, when or where. This organization is the American Red Cross. I was at Hurricane Katrina and Rita as a Red Cross Volunteer. I was also in Galveston for Hurricane Ike and most recently in Joplin, MO for the Tornado. I've been privleged to work these disasters with some of the most caring, unselfish and genuine people imaginable. My faith in humanity is restored with each disaster I work because I get to witness us (regular people) at our absolute best.
Anyhow, don't mean to ramble. "Great job" to all who do what needs to be done when it needs to be done.

the power of man is limitless if people work together. Thats awesome stuff. My wife and I support/volunter/donate/foster for the local animal shelter. It is a good feeling for us to know that we are helping dogs that are less fortunate. We typically avoid being charitable with people because so often it is a scam, but in this case I would have made an exception. natural disasters, people starving... Way to go on everyone who contributed. its good to see the good in people in a time where we see so much of the bad.

I can't remember seeing that thread Pete. It doesn't surprise me though. FABO has the most generous people I have ever seen. We may not know each other due to us being all around the world, but we seem to pull in the same direction very often.

GREAT BUNCH OF REAL PEOPLE!!!

Jack

I remember this Pete, wasn't this the one that had a picture of you pushing a giant cart of food? Did you pull the picture?

I remember this Pete, wasn't this the one that had a picture of you pushing a giant cart of food? Did you pull the picture?

He may have pulled it but I've still got it. :-D

View attachment Bobby Michael in Galveston.jpg

What's great about FABO is that most everybody has their heart in the right place and will go to all lengths to help their fellow members.

It's the petty jealousy and downright bitterness shown by very few others that makes an otherwise positive thread go right down the toilet.

Keep up the great work FABO!

He may have pulled it but I've still got it. :-D

View attachment 325025

What's great about FABO is that most everybody has their heart in the right place and will go to all lengths to help their fellow members.

It's the petty jealousy and downright bitterness shown by very few others that makes an otherwise positive thread go right down the toilet.

Keep up the great work FABO!

That is an awesome picture and I'll never forget it Leanna. What Pete did changed my attitude about helping others.

Me too Joe. He's an inspiration to all of us.

X2 Leanna. 6pk2goDemon/FABO helped me see my mom before she died of cancer and I was unemployed. That was a shocker to me and completley threw me off. I had to think long and hard about accepting that and about put in me tears.

Very cool, being from waaaay up here, we are blessed with "normal" weather and dont see too many catastrophes. Good on ya for doing what ya'll did. Very cool picture!

That was a decent thing you did. Exactly what the Gospel says we should do. Hope they didn't charge you with a crime. We got wiped out here by an F-4. The town was leveled. The way the community came together and helped their fellow man left a permanent lump in my throat. All the government did was supply the National Guard to stop the looters that never existed in the first place. The Salvation Army and good folks like yourselves kept us all in food, water and plywood. Thank You.

Pete, under your name it says , large member, I think the largest part of you is your caring heart. I remember the thread and the picture of you with the shopping carts.

Your an inspiration to us all.

Peace :hippy2:

Thanks for digging up that thread. It's easy to forget what is really important in the day to day grind. When hurricane Hugo hit our town it was amazing how our neighborhood came together and helped each other out. Last year San Diego's power went out for only 8 hours and I saw the worst in some people. We sure could use a reality check down here.

-
Back