AN Power Steering Hose

-

Red_Duster

Reaction score
Has anyone done it with a factory steering gear? I’d like to build my high pressure line to match all my others in the engine bay.

I see Russel makes quite a few adapters, but I don’t see one for the Mopar Box. I have a Saginaw pump so that’s easy enough, and the fittings are everywhere.

Where in california are you?
You could try Bonaco in upland, or U.S. hose, in ontario. Bonaco does all my custom hose for me.

You know how to silver braze? In other words high temp silver alloy? If you can get a "stub" steel line that fits the box or pump, you can braze a JIC adapter onto it. We used to do this all the time at the old parts store. Depending on how they are made, sometimes a JIC male plug works, you can screw it into an appropriate fitting if necessary and get it into a drill press vise, then drill it for a passage and then drill larger to form an entrance and shoulder for the tube. Clean them up, flux them, and silver braze together.

That’s probably a bit beyond my skill, but if nothing else, I can always try a few practice runs.
Does anyone know what the threads in the steering gear are?

It's not the threads so much as the type of fitting. Some of the older GM boxes used a 3/8 tube inverted flare fitting, but with the nut size that would normally be found on 7/16 tube, AKA larger than normal thread. Many of these fittings (don't know what they are called) look somewhat like inverted flare, but they have a protrusion on the end for an o-ring seal.

"Used to be weatherhead" hydraulic fittings (and other brands now) make/ made some interesting fittings for general repair.

This is one I picked out of my memory, 06U-755, it's a heavy duty compression fitting X 3/8 crimp on hydraulic (2 braid) hose end. You cut off your bad hose, assuming enough of the steel tube end is OK and this clamps onto the steel tube

weat08u758_1148.png

This one I found from an Aeroquip side, weatherhead used to make some of these for power steering, either straight, 90, or 45 bend This is the forementioned inverted flare

61rR-uF0HVL._AC_SX569_569x387.jpg

-
Back