Anbody have problems with Hughes rockers loosening?

-

RDJ

Reaction score
I probably only have about 45 minutes run time on my newly completed engine, sounded pretty peppy. I just got the exhaust system on yesterday and heard some clicking and popping. (Before it was open headers). Anyway, I pulled the valve covers and one of the adjustment bolts for the Hughes roller rockers had backed out completely (and fallen down next to the springs), one other had backed out enough to have some slop between the rocker arm and the push rod, and a couple of others the adjustment bolts were loose and had started to back out a little (but still no slop).

Has anybody else had this problem with the Hughes roller rockers? Should I remove the rockers, clean the threads and use some threadlocker? Maybe I didn't tighten them enough to begin with? How much torque do you usually apply with the adjustment nuts on these?

Anyway, the one that backed out seems a little tough to put back in, but the threads look OK. Is this normal? I didn't want to force it too much until I made this post.

My engine is a 408 LA, Hughes 232/237 @ 0.50, .540/.548 lift hydraulic flat tappet cam, Hughes roller rockers, Edelbrock heads (hughes springs), Air Gap intake.

LA or Magnim set up?

I have a 410 Stroker that is LA RHS HEADED and I take it to 7k all the time. I have Hughes Rockers and billet hold down shafts. They NEVER have come loose. Just tonight I put over 100 miles on it and Ran the piss out of it when I got to my destination Running through ALL the gears MANY MANY times with 4spd and 3.55 gears shifting at 6800-7000 RPM and then drove it home 50 Miles when I was done! Runs like a CHAMP!

I seriously believe you did not tighten them up enough.

I used threadlocker on the iron adjustable rocker screw adjustment for the pushrods if they feel loose, no need to disassemble, just put a drop on, it still will move later on but it be tough to turn--like it should be.

If its very oily spray some brake cleaner on it

thru the years i have had rocker adjuster of many brands back off and loose up..

they always seems to be my fault....

normally if the jam nut backs off..the treads in the rocker arm or on adjuster get hammered by the pushrod...

I'm running Hughes rockers and so far no issues with the adjusting nuts loosening up. Not using thread locker either. I did tighten them pretty snug though.

Thanks for the replies. I imagine it was probably my fault, just wanted to make sure there wasn't an unknown issue out there I should know about. I guess I will just have to tighten them tight and keep an eye on them for a while.

I would be checking to see how much coil space there is at full open on the valves. Checking for coil bind. Minimum 0.040".

-
Back