And I wondered why I had a broken stud

-

Bandius

Reaction score
IMG_0170.jpg

This is on my 73 swinger, first time Ive taken the tire off.
I broke a second stud that must have been bent while loosening a nut with the lug wrench. This picture is with the new rotor assembly on and I can only get 3 of the 5 lugnuts back on :banghead:

IMG_0181.jpg

The other side is drilled out just like this, but they managed to line the holes up better and I got the wheel back on...same wheels on the back end so I'm sure those are drilled as well. How safe is this? Ive never seen any thing like it, can't get this damn tire back on without bending the new studs! I would get the spare out of the trunk with the stock rim on it so I could at least drive it again but of course I've lost the key! :angryfir:

Yep, Something is not right there.

It looks like the lugs will be tight against the outer edge. The oblong holes were a way to let the wheels fit slightly different bolt patterns. Once you get one lug on, leave it slightly loose. Then you need to rotate the wheel to rest the weight on that lug and get the other lugs started. Gradually tighten them up. It really looks to me like you can make them work. I had the same situation with S/S Creagers on my 66 dart. It just took a bit of extra work the get all the lugs started and then gradually tighten them all.

I had the same situation with S/S Creagers on my 66 dart..

No, no, no. So far as I know, a unilug type wheel designs use a special recessed washer to devine the lug pattern.

This mess is a disaster waiting to happen.

You can use those wheels to make a grinder base in the shop or to wind up the garden hoses on. 'S all they're good for.

Think I'm gonna drill 5 new holes right in between the crappy ones! How big of a hole should i go? I can't tell with these all reamed out like they are. I have a drill press at work and really can't afford to do anything else.

OwdKasd was right on the money. I'd given up trying to get the last 2 lug nuts on, came home for lunch on monday after the locksmith had come buy and made a new trunk key for my girlfriend. There was a spare in the trunk but she wanted to try the problem wheel again to see how hard it was, so I hung it back up with one lug nut and told her good luck and went back to work...and sure as **** when I got home she had all 5 lug nuts on it, and told me it slipped on just fine when she went back to NAPA and returned the two lug nuts they had sold me for ones with the proper threads! Good thing I never got around to drilling!

OwdKasd was right on the money. I'd given up trying to get the last 2 lug nuts on, came home for lunch on monday after the locksmith had come buy and made a new trunk key for my girlfriend. There was a spare in the trunk but she wanted to try the problem wheel again to see how hard it was, so I hung it back up with one lug nut and told her good luck and went back to work...and sure as **** when I got home she had all 5 lug nuts on it, and told me it slipped on just fine when she went back to NAPA and returned the two lug nuts they had sold me for ones with the proper threads! Good thing I never got around to drilling!
That's great news. I went through the same thing so many times with my Creager S/S's on my 67. Glad the wheels are Useable.

-
Back