And now for something completely different...

-

ramenth

Gratis persona
Reaction score
I build models that interest me.

I'm been a fan of Star Trek for years now. I'm especially a fan of the ships. The ships are characters of their own.

So, when round2 came out with same scale models of all the Enterprises I had to jump on them. The scale is 1:2500 and allows a size comparison of how all the letter series (and refit of 1701) grew over the years.

Because of the relative small size, NCC-1701, (refit) -A, and -B come in the same box. While 1701-C, -D, and -E come in their own boxes. They range in sizes from just over 4" (1701) to almost 13" long (-E).

View attachment DSCN0491 (640x480).jpg

Size comparisons between the first three ships and the sauce section of -C

View attachment DSCN0509 (640x480).jpg

Another size comparison

View attachment DSCN0507 (640x480).jpg

1701 and 1701-A (which can built as the refit without the letter. I chose to build it as -A)

View attachment DSCN0508 (640x480).jpg

Some detail shots. All of the detailing is decals. Some of which overlay others. These models are snap together, making the building themselves easy, it's the decaling that's a challenge. The decals for the saucer sections are as big and round as the saucers themselves. Those for the nacelles are wraparounds. It makes for fun builds, having to look through the magnifying glass for my tired old eyes to get 'em right. Because the decals need to fit the molds, I've gone through a lot of decal set just for the first three already. Once all of 'em are done, I'll build display stands for them and hit 'em with a dull clear coat to keep the decals from yellowing with age.

View attachment DSCN0502 (640x480).jpg

View attachment DSCN0501 (640x480).jpg

I'll be building these twice, actually. The first batch is intended for my sister, who's a bigger Star Trek fan than I am. The second batch will be meant for my display shelf.

I think the ships must've gotten bigger to handle the ever growing waistlines of our beloved heroes!!!

I had not seen those - pretty cool that they made them all the same scale.

That's one of the things that got me going on 'em. Usually starship models are all over the place in scale, so you never truly get a size comparison.

As you can see in the pic with the sauce section of Enterprise-C they suddenly took a massive leap in size.

That's one of the things that got me going on 'em. Usually starship models are all over the place in scale, so you never truly get a size comparison.

As you can see in the pic with the sauce section of Enterprise-C they suddenly took a massive leap in size.

Well, you know what they say!! One small step for mankind, one massive leap in size for the Enterprize!!!...

I was 4th place in the "Spock Market" when G4 ran the entire TOS series.

I always chose Spock when pretending as a child, and was "fascinated" by the personalities of the friends that bickered over getting to be Kirk.

In fact, I was so regularly Spock-

When I was 6, my grandmother made me a Spock shirt with insignia and rank after a careful study of episodes and consult from me :)

Mixed feelings on new, "alternate universe" Trek.

I'm thinking about changing the name of my self storage facility to "Space Station".

I always wanted to be a starship captain, but I'll settle for space station commander in real life :)

...and hey, I drive a Satellite!

Careful, don't cut yourself.

Nothing quite like an x-acto to the fingertip.

Thats cool. I like to build in the same scale too. Nice work on them Robert.

I like to build in the same scale, too, Russ. When I have models displayed it drives me up the wall when two scales are mixed. It's one of the reasons I have a hard time getting into model airplanes like you do. I love building them, but the variations in scale drives me nuts.

It would be awesome if the scale aircraft builders took up 1/25 so I could display my triple black '69 Charger with an F15.

your coolness factor for me just went way up knowing your a trekkie...I am too.

I don't know if you could call me a trekkie, Rani. I was never able to watch Voyager when it aired (never got the station). Thanks to Netflix, though, I've watched the first few episodes. I like Enterprise, even though it gets a bad wrap among the diehards. Never could stand DS9. I prefer Babylon 5. (The creation of DS9 was a direct result of B5 kicking TNG's *** in the syndicated ratings.)

Very cool, Robert!
C

Thanks, Cal.

I find it relaxing. And accomplishing. We're at somewhat of a standstill at work as we wait for parts and hardware. It's frustrating for me in the fact that, formerly owning my own shop, I knew I'd go to work and get something accomplished. Now, I go to work and pretend to be busy on some days.

I go to work to build trains. It should only be a week's work in putting the interior together in the car I'm in. I just closed out my fourth week there and we're down to a crawl as changes are made to what parts we have (nothing fits!), we get approval from the engineering team and quality control to modify the parts to make them fit, and then wait for the next batch of parts to come in do it all over again.

I come home and go to work on these little things for an hour or two and feel like I've actually gotten something done in the day.

I was 4th place in the "Spock Market" when G4 ran the entire TOS series.

I always chose Spock when pretending as a child, and was "fascinated" by the personalities of the friends that bickered over getting to be Kirk.

In fact, I was so regularly Spock-

When I was 6, my grandmother made me a Spock shirt with insignia and rank after a careful study of episodes and consult from me :)

Mixed feelings on new, "alternate universe" Trek.

I'm thinking about changing the name of my self storage facility to "Space Station".

I always wanted to be a starship captain, but I'll settle for space station commander in real life :)

...and hey, I drive a Satellite!

For me the jury's still out on the reboot, too. I've only watched it a couple of times. Sarah spent most of last summer watching it when she got bored (that and Thor) and I have a hard time putting it into the player.

I must say, though, the reference to Archer and the Beagle is a nice touch and Karl Urban did a great job of channeling DeForest Kelly.

Of all the series I like TOS the most. Star Trek V gets mocked a lot, but if you throw away the whole "we're gonna go find God!" thing and focus on the interaction and friendship of Spock, Kirk, and McCoy only it's a good look at what they mean to each other as friends.

-
Back