And So It Begins....

-
Got back from Freddie's and the gears are marked with the chamfer cut on the now rear of the crank gear. Freddie said none of his drill bit would even scratch the gears they were so hard, so he used a carbide burr. lol Now all I have to do is save up for the camshaft and I can assemble the rest. That's gonna be a bit, though.
View attachment 1716120749
Great job man, what cam are you gonna run?

I like Street Hemi Orange.
STREET HEMI ORANGE.JPG

Any photos of the bushing the idler runs on? Or is it a shouldered bolt?
It rides directly on the original pinion it was going to ride on with the dual idler set. I just drilled a hole dead center of the pinion so I could bolt the whole thing to the front of the block. As for oil, I chamfered the top half of the front main bearing from the center groove to the front of the main so it will get pressurized oil at the crank gear and I also drilled a 1/16 hole through the main oil galley plug right behind the cam gear, so the back of the cam gear will get sprayed. Oil will be everywhere under the timing cover. Yes, I plan on running a high volume oil pump.

It rides directly on the original pinion it was going to ride on with the dual idler set. I just drilled a hole dead center of the pinion so I could bolt the whole thing to the front of the block. As for oil, I chamfered the top half of the front main bearing from the center groove to the front of the main so it will get pressurized oil at the crank gear and I also drilled a 1/16 hole through the main oil galley plug right behind the cam gear, so the back of the cam gear will get sprayed. Oil will be everywhere under the timing cover. Yes, I plan on running a high volume oil pump.
Pretty slick setup for sure. Reminds me of the side of my Atlas lathe.

Ok, so it has some slop in the gears. Here's what I am lookin at. What do yall think? Too much? The chain set I have is the high quality JP/Rollmaster and keep in mind I have drilled the end oil galley plug for direct timing gear or chain oiling.

Ok, so it has some slop in the gears. Here's what I am lookin at. What do yall think? Too much? The chain set I have is the high quality JP/Rollmaster and keep in mind I have drilled the end oil galley plug for direct timing gear or chain oiling.

My guess is every slant on the road today has way more slop than that!

Ok, I figured it out. The block was high in the area under the crank gear where I relieved it to flatten it out. I removed the idler gear and pinion and carefully reinstalled it watching it as I tightened it down. When I cinched down on it, I could see it pulling away from the crank gear a little bit. I dressed that area of the block until now it tightens down flatly and has a lot less slop. It's very acceptable now in my book. I'm gonna run it. I have a new video uploading I'll post in a few.

Love this build, and the gear drive thread too. I just found them yesterday. I like seeing someone do what they want with what they have.
I am selling stuff I didn't want to sell now, to try and finish a project.

It's been a week since the last post! We need more pictures and videos.

Sorry for no updates. I did get the oil pickup in and the windage tray fitted so it does not contact anything and also installed a new set of brass freeze plugs. Other than that, trying to put money aside for the camshaft. I will probably mothball it in plastic wrap so it does not get any nasties in it or try to rust. I do have it covered now, but it's going to be a little while at this point.

Wanted to bring this back to the top to say Kitty and I wrapped it up in plastic wrap because it's going to be a bit before I can get the camshaft ground. Once that's done, It will go together. But as of now, This is the final assembly. All the mockup has been done and it won't come back apart that I can tell.

-
Back