And the Winner is…Carter!

-

stryker63

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have settled on a 625cfm Carter AFB after my last posting. Thanks to all who responded!

I have a couple questions on the carburetor itself. Will I be able to use any AFB, or do I need to find a Model 9626/9636 which was intended specifically for Mopars?
Second, my intake (Edelbrock 7577) is a non-EGR version. Is that something that can be eliminated or closed off on a carb equipped with it, or do I have to restrict my search to non-EGR AFB’s?

A brief review of my project, it is a ’73 Plymouth Gold Duster resto-mod. Power plant is a warmed over ’99 5.2L Magnum. Block is bored over 0.03” with a higher duration cam (duration @ 0.05 216 intake/224 exhaust), hypereutectic pistons, heavier (LS1) valve springs, and double timing chain, but otherwise stock. Goal is right around 290-300hp.

Thanks for any and all opinions.

Your engine is similar to my 360 (in my sig), I'm also running a Carter AFB 625 cfm. I bought it from another FABO member to put on my old 318 a few years ago. They are very "fool-proof" carbs, as in they don't need much tuning to run decently well on any engine.

Any AFB should work fine, but yes look for one that came as original equipment on a Mopar as they have different linkage than Ford and GM. EGR doesn't really have anything to do with the carb either, the system is mostly a valve in the intake manifold itself and just a vacuum line to the carb to sense engine load so that's not an issue. A non-EGR manifold is a better choice for modified engines anyway.

Also remember the Edelbrock Performer carb is the same thing as an AFB, if you happen to come across one for the right price go for it.

Any model or style AFB/AVS will bolt on and work well. The model number can be a Chevy arm, but you'll need the MoPar adapter for the throttle linkage.

The intake you listed is a non-EGR intake so you cat it get rid of what it doesn't have. You will never know the performance difference with or without it. And that comment pertains to the carb and intake.

Look for/at regular car s and do not worry about the EGR system, just ignore it.

I have a 625 carter thunder series on my stock 318 with an performer manifold.
I can say one thing about that carb, it idles butter smooth and always starts easy.
You can let the car sit for a month, push the petal once, turn the key with out choking it and it is running at idle.

9636 has Mopar style throttle arm. Otherwise 9000 series were all pretty much the same (and pretty much the same as an Eddy 1400 series).

-
Back