Andrew Jackson had it right.

-

71b5duster

Reaction score
Today I turn over my space to Andrew Jackson, the seventh president of the United States, who said these fiery words to a delegation of bankers in 1832:
“Gentlemen, I have had men watching you for a long time, and I am convinced that you have used the funds of the bank to speculate in the breadstuffs of the country. When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter, I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves. I intend to rout you out, and by the eternal God, I will rout you out.”

Today I turn over my space to Andrew Jackson, the seventh president of the United States, who said these fiery words to a delegation of bankers in 1832:
“Gentlemen, I have had men watching you for a long time, and I am convinced that you have used the funds of the bank to speculate in the breadstuffs of the country. When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter, I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves. I intend to rout you out, and by the eternal God, I will rout you out.”

Amen. Nice post. Were there more politicos with honesty and values like AJ today, we'd have CEO's and bankers doing hard time instead of vacation time...

Wow, where did you find that quote? That is so appropriate.

Go get 'em Andy!

My God in Heaven, send us some politicians who will shout this from the housetops!

(I won't hold my breath on that one......But anything's possible).

Funny how history has a way of repeating itself, what a great man. I hope and pray that it does with our next leader who ever he is and he is as wise and strong a leader as Andrew Jackson. The american public needs him to bring us together and stop the bickering. We have men dying in fields abroad and they need our help, not us all worried about whats going on here at home.

I am no fan of Andrew Jackson (story for another day) but holy crap does that hit the mark. Too bad *someone* did not give this speech a couple years ago.

-LY

Andrew Jackson wasn't wise! He was an emotional hothead who would challenge others to a pistol duel on the slightest perceived provocation, and carried a bunch of lead around in his body until his dying day to show for it. He was a polemicist who jacked up the rabble-rousing masses to get elected by telling them they should vote to rip off other peoples' money. He was the first President who ran for office on the basis of class warfare. He was so naive that he thought the unwashed masses were just great until he invited them to his inaugural, and they stormed the White House, stole the carpets, plates, silverware, drapes and furnishings, and began to destroy the place before Jackson and his friends managed to escape by climbing out a window. The only way he could get the rabble out of the W.H. was to have the staff move the alcoholic punchbowl out on the lawn. Then, of course, the mindless masses followed it outside.

Read a couple of histories of the Jacksonian era, but be careful of revisionist propaganda from so-called "historians" with an axe to grind, such as Arthur Schlessinger, Jr, the former Kennedy hanger-on. In his book on Jackson, he was so anxious to make a political statement in favor of the unwashed masses that he didn't even mention the inaugural episode!

If you want to understand the real Jackson, read the story about how he broke the U.S.'s many treaties with the Indian nations in order to move them from Tennessee to Oklahoma in what became known as the "trail of tears". Although even the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that he could not do so, Jackson ignored the Supreme Court and did it anyway, uttering his infamous statement that "John Marshall has made his decision. Now let him enforce it!" (In other words, Jackson would neither recognize nor enforce the Supreme Court's decision.)

Is this kind of a lawless President really what we want? I don't think so!

Andrew Jackson wasn't wise! He was an emotional hothead who would challenge others to a pistol duel on the slightest perceived provocation, and carried a bunch of lead around in his body until his dying day to show for it. He was a polemicist who jacked up the rabble-rousing masses to get elected by telling them they should vote to rip off other peoples' money. He was the first President who ran for office on the basis of class warfare. He was so naive that he thought the unwashed masses were just great until he invited them to his inaugural, and they stormed the White House, stole the carpets, plates, silverware, drapes and furnishings, and began to destroy the place before Jackson and his friends managed to escape by climbing out a window. The only way he could get the rabble out of the W.H. was to have the staff move the alcoholic punchbowl out on the lawn. Then, of course, the mindless masses followed it outside.

Read a couple of histories of the Jacksonian era, but be careful of revisionist propaganda from so-called "historians" with an axe to grind, such as Arthur Schlessinger, Jr, the former Kennedy hanger-on. In his book on Jackson, he was so anxious to make a political statement in favor of the unwashed masses that he didn't even mention the inaugural episode!

If you want to understand the real Jackson, read the story about how he broke the U.S.'s many treaties with the Indian nations in order to move them from Tennessee to Oklahoma in what became known as the "trail of tears". Although even the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that he could not do so, Jackson ignored the Supreme Court and did it anyway, uttering his infamous statement that "John Marshall has made his decision. Now let him enforce it!" (In other words, Jackson would neither recognize nor enforce the Supreme Court's decision.)

Is this kind of a lawless President really what we want? I don't think so!

Maybe you should run for office and do a better job. thanks!

"Maybe you should run for office and do a better job. thanks!"

No, Dyno Dave, I don't have the right temperament to be a public official. Sometimes I can't hide my disrespect for the public's stupidity, but an elected official always has to be respectful to his constituency, even when they are wrong.

BTW, Andrew Jackson did get rid of the National Bank for awhile, by vetoing the bill which would have renewed its charter in 1830, I think it was. But the Bank lived on, and basically outmaneuvered him, by getting its charter renewed sometime later. I forget when. (Wikipedia has the whole story.)

The head of the National Bank was a guy named Andrew Biddle, and he and Jackson went eyeball-to-eyeball for years over whether the bank should continue to exist or not. But it's extremely hard to permanently get rid of an entrenched bureaucracy like that, and there is disagreement among the historians with respect to whether or not getting rid of the National Bank temporarily, as Jackson did, helped or hurt the laboring classes and farmers.

Quote:
Andrew Jackson wasn't wise! etc...

Just because he wasn't the epitome of wisdom does not invalidate the wisdom of these words or their meaning. The typical politician's trick is to deflect people's attention form their opponents good qualities by highlighting the flaws in their character. 'Nuff said. (Sorry Adam!)

And a typical trick of someone who is uninformed about a given subject is for him to avoid discussing the facts and instead accuse someone else of being unfair.

-
Back