Another 400 build thread

-
Been a while since I updated this thread, still working on the engine most weekends though.

A couple of weeks ago I installed the timing cover, windage tray, oil pan, and balancer. Huge thank you to FABO member Purple Haze who provided the oil pan. It was listed in the parts for sale forum and was just what I needed. It arrived well-packaged and exactly how it was described, wouldn't hesitate to buy something from him again.

The timing cover is from 440source and, to be honest, I would definitely go with a Milodon cover next time. The 440source cover looks great, but the stud holes were slightly misaligned and it needing some grinding the get it to fit right.

The engine is externally balanced and will never go over 5,800 rpm so I just repainted the stock damper. I added Mopar Performance timing tape and used Gorilla Glue to attach it so that it doesn't go flying off. Looks great.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 194
The water pump was bolted on about a week later. Remember that nice timing tape? Yeah... I can't even see it now. Bummer

I considered switching to the standard driver's-side-inlet water pump housing but my radiator is already set up for this and I've read bad things about the 440source pump housings. I thought perhaps the passenger-side-inlet wouldn't have the casting issues that the other 440source housing have had. I was right about that, there are no narrow passages in this housing. It is about the same as the stock housing, possibly a little wider. Overall it's a nice quality piece.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 198
my build is similar to yours, with the exception that I got a set of kb240's and had the block zero-decked. eddy rpm heads instead of 440source, but they are fairly equivalent. the pistons cost about $350 or so if I remember correctly (I had the machine shop get them, they are a dealer for KB).

haven't dyno'ed the engine yet. it's waiting at the machine shop for now until the rest of the car catches up. (stuck in body shop hell as described in other people's threads lol). when the body is ready they will dyno the engine for me. somewhere around 9.7:1 so i'm hoping for 485 hp out of her.

Attachments

• eng2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 209
I wanted to check the valve spring installed height one final time before installing the heads. Each retainer measured between 1.830" and 1.836", no shimming required. The Hughes valve springs that I am using should be installed at 1.880". I am already using the +0.050" valve locks and I have no desire to have the spring pads machined for another 0.050" of clearance. I must admit that this is one of the only areas where I am cutting a corner in this build, I think it will be alright though.

With the springs installed it was time to bolt on the heads. I'm sure pretty much everybody here has used ARP bolts before, but I have to say that I am in love with them. I try to replace as many bolts as I possibly can with ARP every time I work on the Barracuda. I have used many on this engine. Here's a shot of the head bolts all lubed up and ready to be torqued down.

Which brings me to today's project: shimming the rocker arms. I have already checked to see if I needed to shim the rocker shaft up or down and there was no need. Today I had to shim the rockers laterally to center the tips over the valve stems. This required somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 (!) shims to get right. I mentioned before that I suspect that I was given a set of small block hold-downs and I'm still not convinced that this isn't the case. I have called and personally spoken to Dave Hughes who assures me that these are big block hold-downs, so I'm just going to go with it. Anyhow, the tips are now perfectly centered and there is a perfect 0.010" of free-play on each pair of rockers.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 188
  • 5.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 4.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 169
With the heads bolted on I couldn't resist laying the intake manifold and valve covers in place to see how this will all look when finished. It looks pretty damn nice I say! I can't wait to get it back in the engine compartment.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 180
One last thing... new headers are on the way. I had been planning all along to go with Schumacher Tri-Y's. I had long tube headers before and they are a royal pain in the *** to work with so I really wanted to go with shorties this time around. The Tri-Y's are quite expensive though and I live in the Seattle area so I would have to pay almost another 10% in sales tax on top of the high price.

TTI has finally released their new shorty headers so I decided to be the first (that I know of) to give them a try. I know for sure that this is the first set ordered through Bob Mazzolini Racing. I ordered them with ceramic coating and I can't wait to see how they look/fit. I saved about $215 versus the ceramic coated Tri-Y's, mainly due to not having to pay sales tax (I'll square it up with the government later, if any IRS agents happen to be reading), PLUS they have 1 3/4" primaries vs. 1 5/8" for the Tri-Y's. The new headers should be here in a week or two.

Here's a photo from TTI's website for those who have not seen these yet. Note: this is NOT my engine.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 186
  • 9.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 188
my build is similar to yours, with the exception that I got a set of kb240's and had the block zero-decked. eddy rpm heads instead of 440source, but they are fairly equivalent. the pistons cost about $350 or so if I remember correctly (I had the machine shop get them, they are a dealer for KB).

haven't dyno'ed the engine yet. it's waiting at the machine shop for now until the rest of the car catches up. (stuck in body shop hell as described in other people's threads lol). when the body is ready they will dyno the engine for me. somewhere around 9.7:1 so i'm hoping for 485 hp out of her.

That's great, I wish I could change the pistons and freshen up the block but it's not in the budget this time around. Good luck with your build, it looks like it was done right.

Also, love the white valve covers. Those look killer!

I have been considering those headers myself. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of them.

I have been considering those headers myself. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of them.

Nice looking headers,and good info.

I'll take detailed photos when they arrive and probably do a full review in the exhaust section. It'll probably be a couple more months until I get the engine back in the car and fired up so I won't really know how they fit and perform until then. They're TTI though, so I'm sure they're money well-spent. Thanks for reading through my thread.

-
Back