Another 440 duster need some help

-

steve o

Reaction score
Hello,I'm new to the forums ,but not to mopars,just a-bodys(always had e-bodies).I have a 73 duster that I'm considering putting a 440 in.First off ,mine has power brakes,which I would like to convert to manual ,to have more room.Do I just need a differant master cyl? The 440 I have is from a 1977 Dodge van/motorhome.The crank is a 6 bolt. The heads are 452s.Since the motor had the van body,I should have the (normal) block correct? I'm just planning on porting/polishing the 452s,using a hemigrind or maybe the 509 cam ,with a torker intake (have 1 lying around) and an holley 800 or 850 double pumper.I'm thinking schumacher mounts ,but not sure which headers,I don't really want to cut up the fender wells,but I will if thats whats best,ANY HELP ADVICE PLEASE!! on what stuff to use .Or should I just buy the 408 small block stroker?????????( I sure like BBs better though) Thankyou in advance!!:read2:

You will need a manual brake push rod relocated in a different hole in the pedal but the master cyl may be the same. Check the parts books for application.

Engine combo plan sounds good assuming you have the compression ratio to go with the cam. You should be in the 10.0:1 neighborhood. Pocket port the heads!! Headers should be 1 7/8" - 2" (preferably 2") and I have no idea who has the best these days. The fender well type was about it 25 yrs ago and you couldn't run a large diameter front tire. I believe the late model through bolt K members will accept the 440 with the correct mount brackets. I'd just go with the 440.

MC: You can switch to any manual DB MC with a manual brake pushrod. Bore size will determine pedal effort.

Engine: I too used a Torker II manifold I had lying around with 850DP and iron heads.

Headers: TTI's and Schumachers are the most common, non-fenderwell headers for the conversion. You may have to deal with minor clearance issues with the TTI's. For a slight performance hit the Schumachers fit like a glove.

The schumachers have 1 5/8 primaries right? I would imagine they still work better than hp manifolds.Thankyou for the help

70Duster440 Your project page is AWESOME! ,Very helpful info and pics.I am very impressed!!

-
Back