Another 75hp please

-
More good advice and thanks for it all - much appreciated!

I'll tell you why I feel the way I do about upgrades and about my reasoning. First - about me ... I am 53 and pretty strong minded like most "mature" men ;-) ... I'm no mechanic - just a shade-tree tinkerer - most of what I know about mechanics and about Mopars in general was taught to me by my older brother (thank you brother), who is more mechanically inclined than me. But I have over time worked on most of the car, from one end to the other. Never built an engine - biggest ENGINE work I've ever done was replace a head gasket on my 340 (prev engine/orig equip), which was very difficult to do in a one car, not too well lit, cramped garage on a cold night at 1AM :). So, now, with a weak back I mostly tinker, theorize and then get someone else to install. But I love the old cars and for these reasons I want to keep it simple.

The car is not driven much and so, although I like decent mpg, it's not TOP priority. I also LOVE my 4spd, not just because it's a 4 spd, but I love the gearing - shift points - the whole thing ... and so I don't want to change it a bit. I also love the rear axle ratio - it fits my driving needs to a 'T'. So that's why - among other reasons, I don't want to change these things.

I am also a purist, and want to make all the power on-the-motor. I don't want or need to make 600HP, or even 500, but 375 to 450 would be nice (375 for now - that's what this thread is calling for ... 375 - 400).

As to your recommendations ... I like the B/G carb, seems to breath well, and I picked up a nice boost when I installed it over the 600 Holley single feed. But as to issues - I had to make my own Mopar adapter (carb went on before one became avail), so there's the tinkerer in me, and the choice in line feeds for B/G still stinks. The idea of going back to a Carter style carb sounds inviting (I loved the old Thermoquad! - even though it was ugly to look at). But I can see, and as expected, that carb choice is very individualistic. My car could use better off idle response. It doesn't bog, it's just not real crisp from a start. Perhaps the Eddy carb would help that. But the B/G does seem to breath well and the plugs look good last I checked.

The intake it the dual-plane alum variety that came with the crate engine. So going up to the single plane style that the 360/360 came with at the time (and that I think the 360/390 still comes with) is probably in order with a stronger cam.

So that's where I am now. Thanks - regards,

one of the Mopar brains here on FABO referred me to this link. I have followed it to a T. And I thank him for it.

http://www.compcams.com/information/Articles/Type/Chrysler/CC_MM0201-001.asp

Thank you very much for that article. It looked familiar and think I might have read it in the past but completely forgot about it if I did and so thanks again. After reading though it, it sounds like a the Eddy heads, the comp cam, the Eddy/Carter 800, and last of all maybe the Eddy airgap intake.

Thank you very much for that article. It looked familiar and think I might have read it in the past but completely forgot about it if I did and so thanks again. After reading though it, it sounds like a the Eddy heads, the comp cam, the Eddy/Carter 800, and last of all maybe the Eddy airgap intake.

Go with an Edelbrock carb if you want to leave HP on the table. They are easy to tune, but don't perform at WOT like a Holley. I picked up 4 mph in the 1/4 mile just by switching from an Edelbrock carb that I messed with for months to get it tuned as good as it could get to a Holley 650 DP.

The Edelbrock cams are generic Chevy grinds. Go with a Lunati VooDoo or Comp. The Lunati grinds are superior IMNSHO.

Ok my 2 cents..yes to the Edelbrock heads,yes to the air gap intake as far as cam i'd go comp or one from the Lunati voodoo series,yes to a 750 carb the best one i've ever owned is a Quick Fuel,stay away from Barry Grants unless you like to do a LOT of tuning...been ther done that they're NOT worth it...

Sure, and the other one ... you can pay me now, or you can pay me later. But, I am not talking about a 10 second $10K motor here, just 75/100 HP is all. I don't think I need a $600 carb for that ... in fact I know I don't. But thanks for the link - don't recall hearing about those carbs.

Sure, and the other one ... you can pay me now, or you can pay me later. But, I am not talking about a 10 second $10K motor here, just 75/100 HP is all. I don't think I need a $600 carb for that ... in fact I know I don't. But thanks for the link - don't recall hearing about those carbs.

You could always go the route most do(not me i'm n/a only!!)..and just spray it..

Nah, for the little increase I'm after? ... I am a motor guy myself.

For what you are doing I think a Holly 750 vacuum secondary carb would do you good. You can pick one up for around 300 bucks.

Sounds like a good idea to me as well. Holley has all the necessary adapters for the fuel inlet lines? I ask because the B/G does not (unless I want the colorful blue and red aircraft type - which I don't for my street car) and I've never used a Holley dual feed before.

They make a butt ton of parts for hollys. You wont have a problem. Pick up a summit or jegs catalog. They have a bunch of stuff like that at good prices.

This sounds like a nice springtime project for me perhaps - Holley 750, Eddy AG man, Eddy heads, comp cam. Thank you all very very much!

~Bill

In post #26, your reasons for not changing the trans and/or rear ratio are explained so I can appreciate your requirements. I believe that's all that was being asked of you in some posts.

A thought: Sometimes engine modifications change the power curve and require a rear gear ratio change to obtain proper response and driveability. It was the best thing I ever did to my brand "F", after I modded the motor. I mean, it changed the car's "fun factor" dramatically.

Agree with Moper. Dollars spent and ease of setting up, there's nothing like a shot of juice. Don't have to change any aspect of the engine other than timing. Otherwise. Be prepared to spend ...

laughing gas is fine if what you want is to win races - I don't race. I just want a slightly more powerful engine is all. But thanks for the post.

-
Back