Another 75hp please

-

dartley

Reaction score
Hi folks,

My '72 Duster has a 1992 MP 360/300hp Commando (pre-Magnum series for you younger members) crate engine; B/G 625 cfm RD carb, TTI long tubes and K&N filter. It's a 4spd 833 with 3.23 8.75" rear.

I like the car and as it is a street car (NOT a DD though) it's pretty much fast enough. How fast? Well, certainly not real fast and not fast enough to impress anyone here I would think - and I am not trying to; just want to inform is all. The best way to put it that it can just barely edge out a stock Magnum R/T if I launch it right (problem there being that it's a 4spd car with 60 series street radials - old tires / hard rubber at that ... just receive new tires waiting to get mounted).

I would like to put another 50 - 100 hp into the engine w/o opening it up and would like most of that power (not all, just most) in the 3-6 thousand rpm range.

I was looking at the edlebrock RPM perfarmance package for Mopars:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/power_package/rpm_power_packages.shtml

What does anyone here think about this option? Any other ideas that sound better?

Right now I run 93 octain with 34 total adv. Probably could get away with 91, maybe even 89, but I drive it so little that the extra few bucks arn't really an issue. But I do NOT want to go over 93 under any circumstances.

Also, the car get 16 mpg at steady 65 and I'd like to keep most of that.

Thanks and best regards,

PS: I am not going to change either the tranny or rear gears - these are not options.

I might make a couple suggestions. I'd cam it with an XE268 Comp with matching springs for starters. I would also seriously look to change the transmission to an A833OD, so first gear is lower, and 4th is over drive. They can be picked up cheap and are a direct bolt in. I'd go with more gearing after that.

I might make a couple suggestions. I'd cam it with an XE268 Comp with matching springs for starters. I would also seriously look to change the transmission to an A833OD, so first gear is lower, and 4th is over drive. They can be picked up cheap and are a direct bolt in. I'd go with more gearing after that.

Thanks much for the cam suggestion! As to the tranny and rear ... as I said, not to be changed at this time. 50 to 100 HP is all I want, and I don't have a target et - I want to keep the mpg and octane about as it is and gain somewhere around 75 hp is all.

the goal is to fit your use better, that's all. Use in this case means crisp performance with economy, and I think the better gearing and a trans to put the engine in an efficient range at cruise.

Edelbrock RPM intake and COMP XE268 cam (or Lunati Voodoo 268/276). That should get you there. You'd probably benefit from some closed chamber heads and zero-deck flat-top pistons too, if you wanted to go even further. Mind you all of these things would probably improve your gas mileage as well as power.

yes...eddie heads and intake...

yes to comp cam

the goal is to fit your use better, that's all. Use in this case means crisp performance with economy, and I think the better gearing and a trans to put the engine in an efficient range at cruise.

No, the goal is as stated ... 50 -> 100 hp. It's that simple. I chose my thoughts and words very carefully and mean exactly what I say.

yes to comp cam

Thanks to you and all who have posted ... seems like this is the plan. The only thing I question is why not the whole eddy package incl carb and cam? Seems so far the consensus is that the comp cam is better then? Think I should stick with the B/G RD 625 and just jet up instead of the eddy carb?

Thanks to you and all who have posted ... seems like this is the plan. The only thing I question is why not the whole eddy package incl carb and cam? Seems so far the consensus is that the comp cam is better then? Think I should stick with the B/G RD 625 and just jet up instead of the eddy carb?

Yeah. I also do agree about that cam. Great cam. My buddy runs it in his 68 formulas S 340/4spd, 3.23 gears and loves it. Keep the carb, jet it accordingly.

No, the goal is as stated ... 50 -> 100 hp. It's that simple. I chose my thoughts and words very carefully and mean exactly what I say.

Choose your words wisely, as the wrong words come accross arrogant and condesending.

My input, based on your descriptions, is a head and cam package, and possible intake depending on what the older crate engines came equipped with. I would also look at carb, 625 is adequate, and better for MPG, but a little small for WOT on a hot small block. I would lean towards a 750 unit.

A secondary option would be a basic nitrous kit. Horsepower when you want, MPG and part throttle all the time. A remote bottle opener will cover the argument that you have to get out to turn on the bottle. It could be jetted for anything between 50-150 horsepower.

A 3rd option would be a belt driven super charger. It would stay under hood, and add much more HP at the blip of the throttle, but remain docile when out of boost. It would cost a few HP at low throttle to turn the belt and supercharger, but it would add 50% more HP at WOT.

yes to comp cam

Choose your words wisely, as the wrong words come accross arrogant and condesending.

My input, based on your descriptions, is a head and cam package, and possible intake depending on what the older crate engines came equipped with. I would also look at carb, 625 is adequate, and better for MPG, but a little small for WOT on a hot small block. I would lean towards a 750 unit.

A secondary option would be a basic nitrous kit. Horsepower when you want, MPG and part throttle all the time. A remote bottle opener will cover the argument that you have to get out to turn on the bottle. It could be jetted for anything between 50-150 horsepower.

A 3rd option would be a belt driven super charger. It would stay under hood, and add much more HP at the blip of the throttle, but remain docile when out of boost. It would cost a few HP at low throttle to turn the belt and supercharger, but it would add 50% more HP at WOT.

First of all thanks to all again, and for your reply herein. I realize that what I posted "might" have sounded a bit arrogant, but in context I don't think it would have been taken that way - certainly should not have been. And at any rate I did not mean it to be. So to clarify any misgivings, I do apologize to any who did read it that way. It was the only way that I seemed to be able to make it clear (after two former attempts) that I DON'T want to change the tranny or rear to moper. I apologize to moper if I offended him - did not mean to - so I'm sorry moper. But you were a bit "on your point" there, you'll have to admit.

Now, as to the nitros - no thanks. the superchg - no again. They are good ideas, just not for me. Now a turbo I might go for but don't think anyone makes one for this application, and I am not up to the job myself I readily admit.

It should be as simple as falling off a log I should think to make 400 "honest" (on the motor) HP from a 360 - and based on these responses I believe I am on the right track with a package ... even if it's not an eddy package. Thanks again,

first off u do sound kind of rude....

HEADS AND CAM
nuff said

if u cant figure that out the stop posting

my 2 cents

bignasty

Dartly, No big deal. It's not me that had any issue with your response. It's just suggestions, that's all. I dont think a cam swap alone will get you 75-100 hp on that base engine for the price of a cam, lifters, and intake. If you were starting from scratch, sure. but not with a Mopar crate. Which was why I suggested what I believe will be a better all around effect. Only my opinion :D. If you truly want to bolt on 100hp for a few hundred, I suggest the NOS Pwer Shot. I wouldnt use the Edelbrock package in any event. The RPM intake, sure. But not the cam. Much better choices out there.

first off u do sound kind of rude....

HEADS AND CAM
nuff said

if u cant figure that out the stop posting

my 2 cents

bignasty

Ooooo Kaaaaaay ... A man says he's sorry and that he didn't mean no harm and another man says to him that he sounds rude. Nice, very nice. And thanks for your detailed suggestion too.

~Bill

Dartly, No big deal. It's not me that had any issue with your response. It's just suggestions, that's all. I dont think a cam swap alone will get you 75-100 hp on that base engine for the price of a cam, lifters, and intake. If you were starting from scratch, sure. but not with a Mopar crate. Which was why I suggested what I believe will be a better all around effect. Only my opinion :D. If you truly want to bolt on 100hp for a few hundred, I suggest the NOS Pwer Shot. I wouldnt use the Edelbrock package in any event. The RPM intake, sure. But not the cam. Much better choices out there.

You think that the Eddy heads and intake might be good but not the cam and carb then - is that what folks are saying? See, I was thinking that the package might be easier to balance than parts from diff manuf. But seems like most like the comp cam and don't care too much for the Eddy (Carter) carb. Am I right there?

I know that the cam alone won't do alot - that is why I am thinking "package"

do the Eddy heads,intake look for the best Cam Pkg some work better than others. I like Isky cams i have been using them for over 30 years. the choice is yours. i also like the Eddy Torker II intake good bottom end.and good top end. mid range is awssome.if you want some other ideas call me

Don
813-434-5577
[email protected]

do the Eddy heads,intake look for the best Cam Pkg some work better than others. I like Isky cams i have been using them for over 30 years. the choice is yours. i also like the Eddy Torker II intake good bottom end.and good top end. mid range is awssome.if you want some other ideas call me

Don
813-434-5577
[email protected]

Thanks very much!

Eddy heads that comp cam, Air gap intake holley 750 vac sec carb so that it gets a little bit better gas, since the secondarys usually I think only come on when you get to a certain vaccum.

My 2 cents is stay FAR away from the edelbrock carbs and cam. Lots better cams like the comp extreme energy and vodoo series ext. Of course this has already been stated. Also lots better carbs for performance. As far as that goes i had rather have your BG than the eddy. Just my thoughts on this.
Matt

Eddy heads that comp cam, Air gap intake holley 750 vac sec carb so that it gets a little bit better gas, since the secondarys usually I think only come on when you get to a certain vaccum.

And thank you too, sir.

Barry Grant has the best carbs bar none just remember when it comes to a carb on a small Mopar they don't like to much cfm. most people don't relize carb cfm is measured @ 15 lbs of Vacume. at wide open throtle that will change. on my 340 i will not go over 715cfm. i found it works best (for me)and i do shift @7200 its a ride.

I think the RPMs would be fine, and the cams, anything modern... I use Crane, Comp Cams, and Engle that I spec myself. Lunati has some interesting grinds in that Voo Doo line and most guys that have them like them. I think the RPM carb is a great match too. Go 750. All carbs need tuning. RPMs are no different, but they can be trickier to get perfect. For a street car, they will get better milage, idle better, and make the same power as most Holleys and Demons. I'm not a mad fan of Demons myself. Too many stupid issues I've found with them out of the box (I've used 6-7 over the last four years), and they never got better. I don't use them any more if I have a choice.

Another member on here (dgc333) runs a Holley Street Avenger 670 cfm on his 360 Magnum (~370 HP) and pulls mid-20's gas mileage on the highway (with a 4-spd. OD), so take that into consideration too. Personally I think the other Holley/BG carbs are designed more for all-out performance and less for part-throttle fuel efficiency, which I believe the Edelbrock carbs (basically the old Carter AFB/AVS with some minor updates) are also better at.

-
Back