another alignment question

-

63dartman

Reaction score
I read in a previous post that it's important to set up the ride height before the alignment is done. I have a 63 dart with wilwood disc brakes and 15" tires. My question is, will the ride height be altered because of this and how should I check it? I found a site with the service manual that says

Measure the distance from the lowest point of one adjusting blade to the floor (measurement A) and from the lowest point of the steering knuckle arm, on the same side (measurement B) to the floor (Fig. 2).

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/alfa/45/src2x41.htm

My tires are wearing very hard on the outer edges indicating a tow in issue. Any help on this would be appreciated a bunch. I also have not had it aligned yet, getting two new tires today and dropping it off tomorrow for the alignment. Just wanted to make sure the shop that was recommended knows what they are doing once I get there.

I don't go by the factory way to measure ride height. I usually set about one inch from the LCA bumper to the frame. That's an easier place to measure and seems about right.

Outer edge tire wear can also be a camber problem...
If you've altered anything on the vehicle, tires, engine size, etc the stock ride height measurements are out the window
Just get it sitting the height you want, and measure to the control arms,not the bumper(they can be crooked) and make sure it is even
also stock alignment specs are NOT what you want for a performance car...take it to a shop that knows how to do a performance aligment job if that is what you are after

Sanguine said:
Outer edge tire wear can also be a camber problem...
If you've altered anything on the vehicle, tires, engine size, etc the stock ride height measurements are out the window
Just get it sitting the height you want, and measure to the control arms,not the bumper(they can be crooked) and make sure it is even
also stock alignment specs are NOT what you want for a performance car...take it to a shop that knows how to do a performance aligment job if that is what you are after

If you do not set the ride height correctly, ie to within a 1/8" or so of the factory suggested heaight, you can run into bump steer problems. And that is no fun at high speed.

-
Back