Another backspace question - Stock 70 Dart

-

dcdman67

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have read through a number of threads on wheel size and backspacing. Seems to be all over the place with the general guidance that 4.25 or 4.5 backspacing is the most common fit.

I have a stock 70 dart that I am working on. It is completely stock with the small bolt pattern. I will be using the torsion bar method to lower the front and I will be adding blocks in the rear.

I have found 2 wheels that would fit for what I am trying to do, but need some guidance on fitment. Anything helps!

Wheel 1: 18x7, 4.25, 6mm offset backspacing - Mopar Parts | AW118703 | 18 x 7 American Legend Streeter Wheel - Aluminum with Polished Center - 5 X 4 Bolt Pattern | Classic Industries
Wheel 2: 17x8, 4.5, 0 offset backspacing - Mopar Parts | AW117803 | 17 x 8 American Legend Streeter Wheel - Aluminum w/Polished Center and 5 x 4 Bolt Pattern | Classic Industries

Anyone have any advice on which one will be a better fit? Still trying to get better at offset, backspacing, etc.

I don't plan to get too crazy with tire size. Whatever fits best 225, 245, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Dan

Wheel 1 will be a better fit with the +6 offset and 4.25" backspace. 225's would be a good choice. If you've got stock SBP brakes you could probably run a 235. You'd need more backspace to go wider than that.

8" wide, 0 offset rims do not fit well up front on these cars. If you're SBP with stock brakes you could run it, but you probably couldn't run anything wider than a 225 on it if you're lowered any amount.

Thanks 72blu. I am still getting up to speed on the Dart. This Dart, my wife's car, has stock power drum brakes with SBP. Potential for an upgrade to the SBP disc brake setup in the future. Not looking to change to 5*4.5. This car is going to be a cruiser, keeping the slant 6 that came with it. Has a rear main seal leak so there is potential to yank the engine and upgrade a bit at some point. That will come later as I have another project I have to finish up once I get this thing done for my wife.

Thanks for the info!

-
Back