Another bolt sealant question

-

JAndrea

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’m doing an intake swap. The valley pan from my RV 440 had some minor oil pooling. There was no sealant on any intake bolts.. so I’m assuming that’s where much of the oil came from.

I have some stainless intake bolts that I’d like to use. Permatex Aluminum Anti-seize is recommended for these bolts. BUT, is the anti-seize any good for stopping oil wicking?

Here are my options.. I’m thinking just to use the Permatex #2 (seems to be the consensus winner) and skip the anti-seize for this application of the bolts.

image.jpg

Going to be lots of opinions lol, but antiseize wont work as a sealant. You have the white permatex jug already, I would use that.

Last edited:
I agree. This should not be a "difficult case" Permatex thread sealant

Yep. Done. Went with P#2. I just wasn’t sure if the White Ptx Thread sealer was compatible with oil, but good to know for next time. I’m not too worried. I may be breaking it all down for a cam swap this winter.

Thanks guys.

Loctite thread sealant stays on the threads and does not seep into the engine. Permatex works great but use it sparingly to prevent it from getting into the engine. Keep it off the tip of the bolt only apply it to the sides when using on an open bottomless hole .

Yep. Done. Went with P#2. I just wasn’t sure if the White Ptx Thread sealer was compatible with oil, but good to know for next time. I’m not too worried. I may be breaking it all down for a cam swap this winter.

Thanks guys.

Permatex #2 is one of the best sealants out there. I like it a lot. I've even used it on brake bleeder valves to keep brake fluid from seeping by the threads and ruining nice caliper paint. I plan to use it on the bleeder screws on the calipers I just painted. First calipers ever I've painted for myself. LOL The factories used it on a lot of applications as well. I used to help a guy who lived up the road from me growing up assemble Volkswagen engine case halves with it. They never leaked. It is some badass stuff.

Sealing case halves should be done with a bonding sealant. Such as Yama-bond or Honda bond. My son does many engines such as Subaru. Street bikes and several Micro motors. The material is a light gray thick paint in a tube. There are several different names in front of the word "bond" but it is all the same stuff. you can buy it at any bike shop. It is what all engine builders use on machined cases where a gasket can't be used due to bearing clearances. It hardens and cannot contaminate internal parts. It is always applied to both surfaces.

Sealing case halves should be done with a bonding sealant. Such as Yama-bond or Honda bond. My son does many engines such as Subaru. Street bikes and several Micro motors. The material is a light gray thick paint in a tube. There are several different names in front of the word "bond" but it is all the same stuff.

It always worked...and still works for a friend down the road whose a VW fanatic. Been building VWs better than 40 years. It works for him.

It always worked...and still works for a friend down the road whose a VW fanatic. Been building VWs better than 40 years. It works for him.
If it works use it. For engines with hi boost or loose end gaps for NOS. you will see a seap at the seam. You will never get an oil leak at a case surface unless there is damage or warped. Just a wet seam over time. On Two strokes we raced it was a necessity or it would contaminate the trans oil running Methanol or a Nitro Methane mix . We would also have to glass bead the clutch steels and install new discs every race if the trans oil would get contaminated. We found case sealant worked the best for our application. . That gray material you see on all bike engines at the seams is Bonding paste. It also works great on cylinder studs when heli-coiled. But should the stud have to be removed it sucks . We raced all over the states at national events and most repairs were done on the road . We would also use it to glue torn gaskets in place if we didn't have one at the track. Try it you'll like it. Its not that expensive.

spoiler pics 746.jpg

spoiler pics 733.jpg

steve 016.jpg

We're just poor old southern rednecks. We don't run no fancy expensive nitro.

We're just poor old southern rednecks. We don't run no fancy expensive nitro.
We raced all over the states and all you rednecks run Methanol. Most all your fast bracket street cars are on Methanol/Nitro mix. You must be a redneck out of the loop. You better go get some better info from "JJ Da Boss" LOL. about 40% more HP from some good old southern Moonshine. And more consistent then the stroke of an oil rig.

We raced all over the states and all you rednecks run Methanol. Most all your fast bracket street cars are on Methanol/Nitro mix. You must be a redneck out of the loop. You better go get some better info from "JJ Da Boss" LOL. about 40% more HP from some good old southern Moonshine. And more consistent then the stroke of an oil rig.

Yeah I know some guys that do. We never got that fancy. You posted some pictures of your methanol tank one day and it brought back a lot of memories. Naw, I ain't out of the loop, I know about it, we just never got that famous.

Yeah I know some guys that do. We never got that fancy. You posted some pictures of your methanol tank one day and it brought back a lot of memories. Naw, I ain't out of the loop, I know about it, we just never got that famous.

Chris my sons friend has 4 cars he pays drivers to race. My son builds all the motors they are all on methanol. They can go rounds consistently and they never get hot. The motors have all the internals coated with Tungsten del sulfate. Its hard getting them to heat up when fresh on the run stand to break the rings in . We ran them with the pump and fans turned off. The new shop will be getting an Engine Dyno. We'll see the numbers then. Right now its only by the seat of their pants and E.T. per weight.

Good to know! Thanks Rusty. As always, much appreciated info.

Permatex #2 is one of the best sealants out there. I like it a lot. I've even used it on brake bleeder valves to keep brake fluid from seeping by the threads and ruining nice caliper paint. I plan to use it on the bleeder screws on the calipers I just painted. First calipers ever I've painted for myself. LOL The factories used it on a lot of applications as well. I used to help a guy who lived up the road from me growing up assemble Volkswagen engine case halves with it. They never leaked. It is some badass stuff.

-
Back