another cam question...

-

ir3333

Reaction score
Who have used the Mopar Performance P44522761 camshaft?
268/ 272
228 / 231 @ ,050
.450 / .455
Is this similar to the '68 only 4 speed cam?

That is considered there first step up cam from the stock offerings closely equal to the factory HP offerings like the 340 automatic cam. It’s centerline narrowed up with a slight adjustment on the numbers as to offer more power over stock 340 cams.

The 340 manual cam (and automatic cam) are on wider centerlines to produce a smoother idle. But otherwise, all 3 cams are super close. One could “Pick apart” the specs and make it seem like a huge deal.

IMO, this would be a good replacement or an upgraded cam with what I’d call “An edge” over the stock offerings.

The calculated .050 numbers are giving a false impression of what that cam really is imo.
Let’s see some actual measurements taken from someone who’s handy with a degree wheel, or the numbers from a cam doctor.
If its “268” advertised...... it’s not going to be at .006”.
And if it’s [email protected], the advertised numbers wont be anything close to what the rest of the industry uses.

It might work just fine....... I’d just be curious to know if anyone knows what the actual specs look like.

The factory replacement cam(P4452782) is shown as 228/[email protected] in the catalog....... yet the stock cam is 210/220.

Last edited:
The calculated .050 numbers are giving a false impression of what that cam really is imo.
Let’s see some actual measurements taken from someone who’s handy with a degree wheel, or the numbers from a cam doctor.
If its “268” advertised...... it’s not going to be at .006”.
And if it’s [email protected], the advertised numbers wont be anything close to what the rest of the industry uses.

It might work just fine....... I’d just be curious to know if anyone knows what the actual specs look like.

The factory replacement cam(P4452782) is shown as 228/[email protected] in the catalog....... yet the stock cam is 210/220.

i was thinking the same...the specs in mopars' performance catalogue just don't add up.
228 and 231 @ .050... anybody here actually used it and how did it perform?

all the MP cams use the oem blueprint to determine duration which is also consistent with stock cams, they start on the blueprint where the clearance ramp meets the acceleration ramp and go from there with a consistent factor (this takes the ramp height out of the duration figure)
that said it is close to .008 like Engle and Racer Brown
add 7-8 degrees to get .006 durations (more with slow rate stock cams) so as I said duration wise it compares with a 274 lunati or comp or, 285 Crane or Summit @.004
It has a lot more area than a stock 268 340 cam and will, a said, pump up the mid range
It has a big nose so wears well and will work without much guide cutting, if any It's not the 68 4 speed cam
and it's pricy
I would not use it in a smoger 340 or 360
absolutely no reason to go to Crane for a blueprint when you can get the same one from Elgin et all ( if you think Crane grinds it in house I have a bridge for you but at least Crane lists the real thing)
209-210in 220-221ex are good .050 numbers for the stock cam depending on how your round (you do not need this exhaust with headers)
easy to pump up the .050 number with the same seat timing as the MP is pretty gentle (which is not a bad think)
The Lunati 340 cam has nothing to do with a stock blueprint- it's a scam
do not remember doing the 268 on the cam doc but the 260 MP cam--- well Jones 264 @.004, [email protected] cam 248 @.008 cam is 50% bigger than he 260 @.200 where it counts
still need to know OP's compression on that other thread
PRH i have no Idea how MP can get those numbers for a stock replacement 340 cam , I've never profiled that one
That said
if you have a 340 and like the way the stock cam drives the MP cam would give you MORE of the same without gear or converter change, note the shorter exhaust spread so you get more expansion
IMHO the stock 340 cam sucks big time, we raced them back when we had to, it's a smog cam

From an old post by JBurch:

from a Crane Cams catalog, listing a Blue print factory replacement hydraulic cam, Crane P/N: 969361:

intake [email protected] 210deg lift.429
exhaust [email protected] 221deg lift.444
lobe separation angle 114 deg

That cam hasn’t been in the last 3 Crane catalogs.

I like the Comp 268H in a really mild 340/360 with a stock valvetrain.

That’s a nice cam that works very well.

Not so fast.This is the cam in an engine i am considering buying.
Haven't pulled the trigger yet but from these posts it looks like a good cam suitable for the street.
But i am still confused on the numbers.Are you guys saying it's similar to a stock cam but a tighter lobe separation...at 110?

i have used the Mopar 44522992
280/280
238/238 @ .050 and .474/.474
It was lazy at lo speeds with 3.23's and stock converter.I didn't like it at all but
i'm street only.

But i am still confused on the numbers.Are you guys saying it's similar to a stock cam but a tighter lobe separation...at 110?
Unless someone has spent a little QT with one of those and a degree wheel, what it actually specs out at is just “specs-ulation”.

I believe there are people on this forum who have used it, and like it...... so they can convey the driving impressions, likes/dislikes, etc.
I don’t recall seeing any actual measurements though.

Who have used the Mopar Performance P44522761 camshaft?
268/ 272
228 / 231 @ ,050
.450 / .455
Is this similar to the '68 only 4 speed cam?

i was thinking the same...the specs in mopars' performance catalogue just don't add up.
228 and 231 @ .050... anybody here actually used it and how did it perform?

I've run that cam in one of my daily drivers and it was decent, however I wanted more...

I liked the .484/284 cam better in my non-daily driver, but it was a little lumpy for daily driving...

However something in between those would be nice...

Are you guys saying it's similar to a stock cam but a tighter lobe separation...at 110?

I am not. It has more duration and a tighter center line.
This is considered the first step up cam from MoPar. Next cam up would be the 280/.474.

What size engine is for?

I’d have to check, but ... *I Think* ——

Checking....

This cam in the tips section for 340/360’s is in the 13.5 bracket. Use with headers, higher stall converter, 3.90’s, max of 3400 lbs.

Here ya go... 14 & 13.5 ET tip section tips & parts to use.

08C8944E-FD83-4F83-A5D6-F996A61E78B8.jpeg

Oh, same cam in a 318 falls in between cam suggestions for the 13.5 & 13 second bracket parts suggestions. The cam below is the “761” 260/268-44 and the “992” @ 280/.474-60.

TX Rumble...My old Mopar Performance catalogue shows the 166K TC to flash around 2250 - 2350
This should be a nice street engine with a 2400 - 2500 converter.
Might be time to open my wallet..Tx Guys!

There is a BB cam, #P4286677, which is 272/272-112, .455/.455.
I thought at one point it was also offered for the SB, but maybe not.

Here is what “I think” the ‘761 cam is......
It’s the 268/.450 exhaust lobe from the ‘759 cam used as the intake lobe, and the 272/.455 lobe used on the BB ‘677 cam as the exhaust...... then they settled on a 110lsa.
I know of a few people who have measured the BB ‘677 cam, and as I recall the number for it was 222 or 223 @.050.

So, my edjamacated guesstimate for the ‘761 cam is...... about 218/[email protected].

The 110 centerline is what will give it “That Idle Sound” that is associated with muscle cars.

all well and good but still old technology
lots of improvements in the last 20 years including springs
Should be a reliable cam but it's expensive compared to a Howards or Lunati
heck you could get a custom Mike Jones solid for that kind of coin
now if you can find a deal on one.. but look- it wants 390 gears
do 390 gears fit into this build?
you say it comes with the engine so it's free?
btw the 268 lunati out torques the 268 comp- no reason to ever use the comp unless you're following the Judas
goat

all well and good but still old technology
but look- it wants 390 gears
Nothing wrong with old tech cams.
(Though price wise.....)
Assumption that it wants 390 gears! Mopar put it in the book under the tips section to fit the bracket time that it runs. It probably is the best to run a quarter-mile, since that’s what the tip section is. You’re putting forth an assumption as fact that it needs 390 years. This is wrong all day long!

you are right rumble
IDK what his gears or trans are
MP cams are still good if like in this case you do not want to cut your guides or port your heads, or even take them off the block
but the price now...
camcraft has a whole page of lift limited mopar grinds, as do others

Yea man! The prices are ridiculous!!!!!

-
Back