Another carb identification

-

Matysik

Reaction score
Car is a '73 Dodge Dart Custom and I have been told by a sales person at Napa that I have a Holley 1945, and then the owner of a speed shop local to me said it's a Holley 1920.

Which is it?

I.D. #'s

Then on the other side
6R
B

Need to know this information as soon as possible to order a rebuild kit.

Also I am looking to go for the Napa kit, but if there are better rebuild kits out there post them please.

7000853437_ce83cee82e_z.jpg

7000855433_73dbc21722_z.jpg

I recall that when I had a Holley 1920, it had "1920" on it somewhere. I expect the same for a 1945. There are many numbers on carbs, mostly for individual casting PN's. If you find numbers stamped on the air horn, that is usually the overall model number. Post a photo and I'm sure someone can identify.

The one you listed is a '74 225 automatic California model 1945. A '73 model should have a 1920 on it.

Oh, I just noticed you posted some photos......yup, it's a 1945 for sure.

Guess my question now is why on a '73 from New York do I have a '74 carb and emissions can from California?

I'd say that someone swapped it on there sometime in it's past. The intakes are the same so it doesn't take much to do it. I think it's a better carb myself.....the 1920's are prone to the typical Holley bowl leaks and tempermental metering blocks. If you're trying to get it back to stock, you're pretty much stuck with one though......

Out of curiousity do you happen to have a correct vacuum diagram for this setup also?

Thank you for your help also

No, I sure don't. You'll need to get a factory service manual for that if you no longer have the vacuum diagram sticker under the hood. There are a few different systems depending on your vehicles' particular smog requirements. Someone on here might have a copy so give it a day or two for more responses.

Yep, that's not the original carburetor (or the original type of carburetor) for your '73. The first-year (1974) 1945s were troublesome; by 1976 or so they'd gotten better, but they were still jetted very lean to squeak the cars past the Federal emissions type approval tests so the cars could be offered for sale. If you are trying to buy a "remanufactured" carburetor you are about to embark on a money-wasting, frustrating venture that will end only when you stop expecting a "remanufactured" carburetor to be anything but a doorstop.

Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

Not at all, I'm going to do a simple rebuild on the carb to drive the car this summer and then I'm pulling this motor and trans combo out over the winter anyways.

Not at all, I'm going to do a simple rebuild on the carb to drive the car this summer and then I'm pulling this motor and trans combo out over the winter anyways.

You already have a remanufactured carb...I recognize the sticker on it. That's either Champion or Tomco...probably Champion

If you think of changing carbs later, in addition to the Holleys consider the Carter BBS. My 64 Valiant has one on it, which I think is original for that year. It idles so smooth I can barely tell the engine is running. It is very similar to the 2-barrel Carter BBD on most Mopar V-8 engines, which many people consider bullet-proof. I had a Holley 1920 long ago on my 69 Dart that drove me crazy for many years.

On slant-6s in the US and Canada:

Carter BBS was the only OE carb from '60-'61.

Carter BBS and Holley 1920 were both OE from '62-'71 in passenger cars, '62-'73 in trucks and vans.

Carter BBS and Holley 1945 were both OE in '74 on trucks and vans.

Bendix-Stromberg WA3 was OE along with BBS and 1920 in 1963 only.

Holley 1920 was the only OE carb in '73.

Holley 1945 was the only OE 1bbl carb from '74 up ('81-up applications with feedback emission control got the electronic version of the carb, called "6145").

Carter BBD was the OE 2bbl carb from '77-'83 on vehicles so equipped.

In years and applications with more than one OE carb possibility, what was installed on any particular engine was mostly down to what fell to hand for installation at any given factory at any given time. There have been claims made in the past (and repeated often enough to look like "common knowledge") that the 170 got the "smaller BBS" and the 225 got the "larger 1920", etc.; these are not correct. The only carbs in the list above that came in only one venturi and throttle bore size for the slant-6 were the WA3 and the BBD.

Alright now upon talking to Daytona Parts they need a number that starts with an R on the body of the carb which I don't have. He said its behind the throttle linkage and I may need to pull the throttle to view it, but all I have is one single capital A and blank space.

From the post I read above and the fact that Holley isn't stamped anywhere on this carb I should just assume I should be on the prowl for a new genuine Holley instead of trying to again rebuild this "reman'd" carb and have problems with it right away?

The 4-digit number they're after is "7096". This carburetor is originally for a 1974 A-body with 225 engine, automatic transmission, and California emissions -- definitely not the carb I'd want to put more than quick/cheap effort into, but if this is just a get-by until you swap the motor, then by all means throw a kit in it and keep driving.

The 4-digit number they're after is "7096". This carburetor is originally for a 1974 A-body with 225 engine, automatic transmission, and California emissions -- definitely not the carb I'd want to put more than quick/cheap effort into, but if this is just a get-by until you swap the motor, then by all means throw a kit in it and keep driving.

Great, thanks and hoping if funds allow with school this winter that I can either do an 8 swap or decent turbo setup on this motor so either way the carb is just short term to get around to the local shows and cruises this season.

-
Back