another compressor question!

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have painted quite a few cars over the last few decades, BUT I claim to be NO bodyman.
long story short, I moved to Tx last fall to be with the love of my life, sold about everything, and of course, have picked u p a couple of project cars! ha
we will sell this place here in couple of years, and I do not want to invest in moving power poles, put in 220, but I do want to spray some paint. SO NO big compressor. do not need to run DA, file, etc ha...
which is the best bet and sense $ wise... ? invest in one of those, what you call them? turbo systems????? OR , go with small upright tank and low output compressor and gravity HVLP gun?
in the 70's I saw my dad prime and pant my inline horse trailer, in F8 met. with a Sears 10-15 ??gal compressor and gravity gun. laid it down good as anyone . thanks.

I needed a large compressor to run my parts blaster cabinet, and found several candidates on craigslist. They were all Craftsman units, about a 5 HP motor with a 25-30 gallon tank. I got mine for $100 and there were several others between there and $200. It runs on 110 just fine, and can be changed to 220 if you want later on. It puts out about 8.0 GPM at 90 PSI. Here's a link that shows the exact model I got.

portland for sale "air compressor" - craigslist

How far is 220 from the garage? "Romex" is cheap. Rig a temp connector for the dryer/ range/ etc or even install a big say, 40A plug at the fuse panel, and when you need "that" compressor, just unroll your romex extension cord and plug it in

I wouldn't recommend it, but I did my hood, trunk and other pieces with that little baby compressor in the upper right of the picture.
Single stage Acrylic Enamel.
Painting the whole car panel at a time while I drive it. :D

sideclose.jpg

trunk.jpg

How far is 220 from the garage? "Romex" is cheap. Rig a temp connector for the dryer/ range/ etc or even install a big say, 40A plug at the fuse panel, and when you need "that" compressor, just unroll your romex extension cord and plug it in
good 225 feet. voltage drop???

I have done it with a small compressor, but it's hard to be consistent with the pressure falling off in the middle of a panel, and I have used a turbine system. While the turbine system worked ok it really didn't suit my painting style as I like a gun that really atomizes and breaks up the paint so i can finesse it on. If you've ever shot latex through a Wagner it was kinda like that. Hardly any air pressure at the cap. New ones might be improved, but IDK. Painting equipment or dumpsters ok, but I couldn't get a car quality finish with it. Maybe someone else has had some different experiences and chimes in.

I had to do that to run my 220 compressor this spring before the power is upgraded in the garage. Only had to run 45ft but used #10 soo cord through the basement window plugged into the 30 amp dryer outlet. Ok for temp, quick blast cabinet work.

I have done it with a small compressor, but it's hard to be consistent with the pressure falling off in the middle of a panel, and I have used a turbine system. While the turbine system worked ok it really didn't suit my painting style as I like a gun that really atomizes and breaks up the paint so i can finesse it on. If you've ever shot latex through a Wagner it was kinda like that. Hardly any air pressure at the cap. New ones might be improved, but IDK. Painting equipment or dumpsters ok, but I couldn't get a car quality finish with it. Maybe someone else has had some different experiences and chimes in.
way back in the 90's I had a good friend that was mechanic at Mo dept of highways, and did my bodywork on the side. self taught but an absolute pro. we did a lot of mopars. he had what looked to be a very old or well used turbine set up. no dobt a pro model.. his work was flawless but we used acrylic urethane, which I don't makes an difference.
since we will move hopefully in 2 years i didn't want to buy a big compressor. too much to worry with a move cross state or states. ( retirement is a state of mind!? Ha).....
I have never had anything bigger than an average output twin cast cyl oil type compressor. never keeps up with anything anyway! not on my plate to pay to have this done, nor would I, don't like using other people's stuff, I would hate to buy a used turbine setup thru feebay!!! HA, got a feeling a small Sears typ 5 hp and do a panel at a time SLOW might be what happens!!!!!

You have a compressor that will work? Post the motor plate ratings and we can figure out how big 250 ft or so wire needs to be. If you could get by with 10-2/ plus ground "cheap" OD direct burial romex, it would not cost too much. I'm not saying you need to bury it, just use it when you need it as an extension cord

You have a compressor that will work? Post the motor plate ratings and we can figure out how big 250 ft or so wire needs to be. If you could get by with 10-2/ plus ground "cheap" OD direct burial romex, it would not cost too much. I'm not saying you need to bury it, just use it when you need it as an extension cord[/

I sold my compressor when I moved to tx last fall. if I run to shop I would have to trench and bury and put in pvc if I did . I will just look for a smaller compressor than runs off 110. I am told a 30 gal. tank can get me by. like said, I can make do.
just don't really want to have the work, expense to put in 220 and move in couple years.

-
Back