Another crackhead price

-
far from a CRACKHEAD price...well worth what he is asking and prob will sell fairly quickly... that ain't no A body..

Honestly...aside from what looks like a sideswipe, that Charger looks relatively solid. I'd bet a good body man could save that quarter, fender, and door. (And it's a factory A/C car!)

I think some of yall have no clue what these cars are worth. I may holler about prices myself, but I know what these things bring. "Just a 318 car" or not, 68 Chargers command top dollar for whatever condition they are in.

Yep my Buddy buys them all the time down south for 2K brings them up here to IL and usually gets 5k-7K for them in way worse shape than the blue Charger.

Thanks sooo.....much to the OP. I showed this to my wife and she said what's taking me so long. I said they are a lot of money. She said there is already a lot of money in it, just finish it. Oh...ok I'll think about it. I even kept a spare hood just in case I wanted a supercharger, just love the look of those sticking out of a '68.

Thing is it may be a decent or fair price for someone, but when you are into it and looking and spending money on a lot of missed parts or damaged parts, it can add up real quick. I went with a friend of mine a few years ago to look at a 69 roadrunner for 7 k. He asked me to go along for my opinions, after driving almost 6 hrs. one way with trailer in tow just in case it was a good deal, we came home with an empty trailer. That car really was not even a parts car. Only thing I saw decent was the taillight lenses. Floor, part of the firewall, all the trunk needed replaced due to the window seals leaking. The drivetrain supposed to be there with the car but was down the road at another location, thing is the owner knew we were making a trip and stated that everything would be there. My friend was going to make a serious offer on the car and that's when I had to step in and pull him aside and explain what it would take to get the car streetable again. He was upset but I didn't want to see him throw good money away on a basically parts car. He was quiet on the way home and I know I upset him, but he got over it and I saved him a lot of coins and headaches. I then remembered of another car that was in good shape and I knew the owner and turned him onto that car which he bought. I'm now assisting him on the wiring issues, but it's a small comparison to what he would've been into with the other car. I have done 2 cars over the years, as driver's and the biggest thing for me is to start with a mostly complete car, unless you have unlimited funds to start a parts car project. Car has potential, yes, but not for this guy. My 2 cents.

Thing is it may be a decent or fair price for someone, but when you are into it and looking and spending money on a lot of missed parts or damaged parts, it can add up real quick. I went with a friend of mine a few years ago to look at a 69 roadrunner for 7 k. He asked me to go along for my opinions, after driving almost 6 hrs. one way with trailer in tow just in case it was a good deal, we came home with an empty trailer. That car really was not even a parts car. Only thing I saw decent was the taillight lenses. Floor, part of the firewall, all the trunk needed replaced due to the window seals leaking. The drivetrain supposed to be there with the car but was down the road at another location, thing is the owner knew we were making a trip and stated that everything would be there. My friend was going to make a serious offer on the car and that's when I had to step in and pull him aside and explain what it would take to get the car streetable again. He was upset but I didn't want to see him throw good money away on a basically parts car. He was quiet on the way home and I know I upset him, but he got over it and I saved him a lot of coins and headaches. I then remembered of another car that was in good shape and I knew the owner and turned him onto that car which he bought. I'm now assisting him on the wiring issues, but it's a small comparison to what he would've been into with the other car. I have done 2 cars over the years, as driver's and the biggest thing for me is to start with a mostly complete car, unless you have unlimited funds to start a parts car project. Car has potential, yes, but not for this guy. My 2 cents.

I think you're making a lot of valid points. Obviously it's easy to get upside down on a vehicle that needs a total restoration. As a rule of thumb, I generally do research to determine how much I could reasonably expect to get for a particular car when it's finished. Then I try to estimate how much I'd have to spend to get it done. If it looks like I'll be upside down on it, I'll pass. When my son decided to buy his '68 I had advised him against it but he was determined to get a Charger R/T before he had to go back overseas. That left us with a very narrow window of time to find one. - We didn't get a good deal. - And we'll have more in it than what we would if we'd found a car less needy. But, every day as I worked on it and sent him pics of the progress, it felt like money well spent. - By doing all the work ourselves we won't actually be upside down on this one (unless we count our labor).

I think you're making a lot of valid points. Obviously it's easy to get upside down on a vehicle that needs a total restoration. As a rule of thumb, I generally do research to determine how much I could reasonably expect to get for a particular car when it's finished. Then I try to estimate how much I'd have to spend to get it done. If it looks like I'll be upside down on it, I'll pass. When my son decided to buy his '68 I had advised him against it but he was determined to get a Charger R/T before he had to go back overseas. That left us with a very narrow window of time to find one. - We didn't get a good deal. - And we'll have more in it than what we would if we'd found a car less needy. But, every day as I worked on it and sent him pics of the progress, it felt like money well spent. - By doing all the work ourselves we won't actually be upside down on this one (unless we count our labor).

Good points as well. I live not far from Carlisle and have kind of easy access to all the events. I would say that a good guess for me is to have a car 75% or more complete. Trying to chase down some parts that are missing or no longer serviceable can and will add up along with the frustration of locating said parts and the constant increase of prices. I did a car about 10 or so years ago and sold it only later to buy another one and it was mostly complete and had potential but ended up getting into it more than I wanted. This one I have now is it for me. I only wanted it because I had 2 in my high school days and this one had more potential as a break even or make money car. I did all the work to the car myself with the exception of paint. I did some horse trading on that deal and it turned out good for the both of us, but will say it was a journey. Yes all the little parts, interior, exterior parts ect. and can add up real quick, even if your mechanically inclined and do most yourself. As I said, the car has potential, but a 318 car with factory air, yes potential and may be a rare piece, but what is the costs of getting all the A/C stuff replaced and in working order in addition to other area's. That's what I told my friend and the roadrunner deal. A nearly complete car is basically half the battle.

Yep;same old argument!!Too much money for a 68 charger????Edsel's can be bought cheap!!!Oh- dont want an Edsel just want a 68 charger for 500 bucks????You might look into AMT they sell all kinds of classics and you can have one built in a day!! Hasn't been that long ago some were whinning about an M code Cuda being too much money and it sold twice while all the complaining dragged on.If it is too expensive for you let someone else make the money.And if there was no money in this "hobby"it would be gone.

$13500 on up for a body that is missing everything that is not welded to it. Hood trunk kid, and fenders will add another 2K. I don't see that dropping the prices any time soon.

Seriously? Then you'd be fine paying 13 grand for a rusted banged up shell and forking over another 30 grand to fix it...lol...

If that charger was like 6000 I'd buy it screw fixing the body throw a rms system under it along with that big block and 727 I have 2 viper seats wire and plumb it up and go have some frickin fun

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Seriously? Then you'd be fine paying 13 grand for a rusted banged up shell and forking over another 30 grand to fix it...lol...

Boy, that's a tough one. On the one hand by the time you get the rest of the sheetmetal I'm sure you're into one of these new bodies a good $15000. But no interior, no suspension, no drivetrain, no glass, etc, etc... When I think of all the hundreds of small parts still needed it makes me wonder just how much $$$ they would take to finish. I guess I don't know if it'll help drop the prices on the original cars either. One of the biggest things I'm curious about is how the selling value of these new reproduction cars compares with the selling value of a freshly restored car. And how are these reproduction cars titled? Would one finished this year be considered a 2014?

Honestly yes, as long as it has most of the parts. The body of an e-body is not the expensive part, It's everything else.

-
Back