Another dash removal

-

basement

Reaction score
Is it possible to remove the dash from an A-body without pulling the windshield? I have the instrument cluster out, the steering column out and when I take a flashlight I can see the pionty end of some screws along the front of the dash along the bottom of the windshield.
So, is it those screws along the windshield and the two bolts down by the kickpanels the only things keeping the dash in?

I think it is five screws up top and the 2 on the sides. The window has to come out as far as I remember from doing mine. You may be able to push the lower portion out enough to get to the screws.

i ask the same question a few months back. from what i could tell the windshield needed to be removed before the dash comes out..........the guys here confirmed that is the case.

In a perfect world those screws would have an allen socketed end and the holes in the sheet metal of the dash would be slotted. As it is I dont know of a way around pulling the winsshield.

So are you talking about the entire dash assembly? because if you are talking about the dash pad or the dash face I have removed both of mine without taking the windshield out. I have a 74 Dart and it took some work but all I have left is the steel dash frame left. If that is what you are talking about I learned something today too.

I've taken out a few Dart dashes and have always pulled the windshield first.
It is almost impossible to see the top screws let alone unscrew them with out removing the windshield
Ed

The windshield weatherstrip sets right on top of the screws and there is absolutley no way to get to them without removing the windshield first.

The windshield weatherstrip sets right on top of the screws and there is absolutley no way to get to them without removing the windshield first.

This man speaks the truth.

You guys have confirmed my suspicions. Guess I'll be calling some windshield people Monday.

It's not that hard to remove yourself. Best to have two people though.

Install is another story.

Why call somebody in to do something you can do yourself. It's not really that difficult to remove the windshield. You will probably want to replace the rubber seal anyway, so use a utility knife and cut away everything on the outside of the glass. Make it easier by stripping out the round pencil-size "locking strip" that is jambed into a groove molded into the gasket (if yours has this system.)

From the inside of the car, you can use a flexible putty knife to get under the glass to separate it from the bottom of the gasket (probably has sticky windshield sealant.) Be careful not to put too much pressure on the sharp edges of the glass or it might chip. Once you get it started along one edge, you can press up from underneath and it will begin to separate easier.

Work your way around carefully and have someone help you lift it out. Not as hard as you might think. Just stay off the edges as much as possible to prevent chipping.

Jerry

-
Back