another dragstrip with one foot in the grave.

-
Mike (Camaro video) has a Liberty clutchless 5 speed. 4 gears in the 1/8th, 5 in the 1/4. No need to change rear gear. 60 ft are a bit slow. The slicks trip the beam. LOL All with a 331 (destroked 350)
what he run in the 1/8, 6.40 I guess ?

Financially it is almost impossible to make a go of it as a "dragway only " operation . Motorsports parks are doing better because of the diversity . It takes megadollars to run a sports/motorsports facility profitably . Included in this is the permitting nightmare and the public distane for such a facility . Isolation and economic depravity are friends of racetracks . Traffic congestion is not . I live 6 miles from New Hampshire International Raceway and I can tell you they are the best neighbors you could ask for . they paid for the infrastructure improvements , hired a lot of people and provided entertainment for thousands of folks . The people who are griping now are people who moved into the area AFTER the park was built and don't like the noise and congestion (which is twice a Year). They didn't know this beforehand ? NOT !

Buy it an set it up as a private club like a hunting or sportsman club.
Have races with the public invited.

As fast as folks are fleeing Illinois, should soon be able to set up compulink system on any road and have a 1/4 mile strip :D

5.00 each would not do it. they are asking 850,000.00 for it. yes a lot of improvements. i think owner lives in Colorado and guy running it is also from there. i heard guy running it made a lot of people mad last year and this year. you could rent track on non race day for 500.00 with track crew and concessions. sad to see it happen

Our dirt oval just changed hands and the new owner is leaning heavily towards the "special events" side of things. There are 3rd generation racers on the track now that may never see another race here. The owner has a major stumbling block in his path that I'm sure he's aware of. After the track was built in '69 the Feds declared a section of the parking lot a protected wetland. No permanent structures that are not already present are allowed. We will see next season what he has come up with to fill his pockets.

I heard it was for sale again. It's sad, most of my teenage and early 20's were spent at Havana...I hope somebody keeps it alive!!! Lots of good times there!!

Some of these young guys are going fastr in the 1/8 then we ever would dreamed of in the 1/4. My sons friend Frank Sodridge started off at Island dragway with a black Fox body conv. going 10's . he went to a teal Fox body going 9's. This was a quarter mile track. Now he is going much faster in the 1/8. Check out his last wild ride.

a guy on another site,slantzilla, says his friend said it sold. did not say to whom or what they were going to do with it.

-
Back